Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boizeau

Vitis x Muscadine grape hybrids

boizeau
18 years ago

Has anyone been successful crossing Muscadines with Vitis grapes? I'd like to try it and would like to hear if any of the species works with Muscadines. I know it can be done, but they don't work too well at first.

Seems it is important that one of the species works best as the male, but can't remember the way that works best.

Comments (12)

• kiwinut
    18 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Works very well when the euvitis is the seed parent, almost never when the muscadine is the seed parent. Offspring are very vigorous, intermediate in character, and almost always sterile. Rarely, one will have just enough fertility to set a few fruit with a few seeds, when open pollinated.

Most of these crosses use female-only euvitis, so that there is no chance of self pollination. Problem is, muscadines bloom about a month later than most euvitis grapes, requiring that pollen be stored for the following year. Alternatively, the flowering of the euvitis can be delayed by removing the primary buds, forcing secondary buds to flower at a later time.

• Elakazal
    18 years ago

Don't know about muscadine, but saving Euvitis pollen for a year isn't much of a problem, though. Just get it good and dry, seal it up and put it in the freezer. I've used year-old pollen before without a problem...you lose some viability, but I wouldn't anticipate problems as long as you weren't trying to use tiny amounts.

I've never tried it with muscadine pollen.

I did once get a little seed set (two seeds) pollinating muscadines with euvitis pollen once, on the wild vines by my apartment (these were bagged female flowers, so I'm pretty sure they were hybrid seed). Never got the seeds to germinate, though.

• admmad
    18 years ago

These abstracts may be informative.

CYTOGENETIC STUDY OF INTERSPECIFIC HYBRIDS BETWEEN VIRIS ROTUNDIFOLIA AND VITIS VINIFERA
    Authors: X. Xu, J. Lu
    Muscadine grape (Vitis rotundifolia Michx.) has a chromosome number of 2n = 40. European bunch grape (Vitis vinifera L.) has a chromosome number 2n = 38. With few exceptions, the chromosome number of hybrids between V. rotundifolia and V. vinifera is 2n = 39. As a result, the hybrids are either completely sterile or highly sterile with some fertility. To understand the variation of hybrid fertility, a study was conducted to investigate the chromosome number and pairings of the interspecific hybrids Jumbo (V. rotundifolia) x ÂThompson Seedless (V. vinifera) in mitosis and meiosis. Interspecific hybrids were obtained from crosses of muscadine grape (female) x V. vinifera (male) and from reciprocal crosses. Chromosome numbers of the hybrids used for this investigation were first confirmed by root tip cells (RTC) in mitosis. Most of them had a chromosome number 2n = 39. Several morphological characteristics also clearly indicated that they are true hybrids of V. rotundifolia x V. vinifera. Microscopy studies at meiosis of pollen mother cells (PMCs) showed a certain degree of chromosome pairing (bivalent) with some multivalent and monovalents. For those hybrids with 2n = 39, chromosome pairs ranged from 13 to 19. The result indicated that the low fertility of the hybrids is mainly due to the lack of chromosome pairings in their meiosis.

A GENETIC MAP OF VITIS RUPESTRIS X MUSCADINIA ROTUNDIFOLIA LOCATING RESISTANCE TO XIPHINEMA INDEX, THE DAGGER NEMATODE
    Michaeleen Callahan , Yimin Jin , Fangyou Gao , Andrew Walker
    Muscadinia rotundifolia has very strong resistance to a wide range of grape pests. Although this species is generally incompatible with Vitis species, it does make fertile hybrids with V. rupestris. These hybrids form a unique genetic bridge allowing introgression of resistance genes into cultivated grape. Genetic linkage maps of two V. rupestris "A. de Serres" (2n=38) X M. rotundifolia "Cowart" (2n=40) hybrids were constructed using the pseudotestcross strategy. Four hundred eighteen AFLP markers, 32 ISSR markers, 23 RAPD markers, and 18 microsatellites were used in the maps. Markers segregating 1:1 (316) were used to construct framework maps by comparing results from PGRI, MAPMAKER 3.0, and JoinMap 3.0. Each map contained 19 linkage groups (LOD > 4.0) covering 806 cM and 902 cM for the paternal and maternal parents respectively. One hundred seventy-three markers segregating 3:1 were used to align homeologous linkage groups between the maps. Genome length and map coverage will be presented. A locus associated with resistance to Xiphinema index, the dagger nematode vector of grapevine fanleaf virus, was also positioned on the map.

"Muscadine grapes (Vitis rotundifolia)
    Subgenus Muscadinia has 2n=40 chromosomes compared to 2n=38 for bunch grapes
    Very resistant to common grape diseases
    Do not cross readily with bunch grapes
    Unique flavor and texture"
    from http://www.hort.purdue.edu/hort/courses/HORT414/Grapelecture.html

"Dunstan developed a number of Vitis x Muscadinia hybrids that were backcrossed to interspecific Vitis hybrids. The offspring from these difficult to accomplish crosses have many characteristics of both parents and restored fertility (often lost in Vitis x Muscadinia hybrids). "
    from http://www.ars-grin.gov/npgs/cgc_reports/grapecgc2001.htm

These references:
    Lu, J., Prins, B. Interspecific hybridization between Euvitis and Muscadinia grape species. (2000). Hortscience 35: 501.
    Lu, J., Schell, L. Intersubgeneric hybridization between Muscadinia and Euvitis species. (1998). Hortscience 33: 516.
    Lu, J., Schell, L. Introgressing seedlessness from Vitis vinifera into Vitis rotundifolia. (1999). Hortscience, pp. 523-524.
    Lu, J., Schell, L., Ramming, D. W. Interspecific hybridization between Vitis rotundifolia and Vitis vinifera and evaluation of the hybrids. (2000). Acta Horticulturae 528: 479-486.

• boizeau
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Plans for 2009.
    I do have a good Muscadine vine here (Puget Sound lowlands), and plan to use its Pollen on a Zehnder grape female, which has about 1/8 muscadine in its background. this cross may be a bit more successful, but time will tell.
    The Muscadines do bloom very late up here--- almost the end of June.

• boizeau
    Original Author
    15 years ago

From what I have read, the muscadine should be the pollen parent, and also there is a grape called "Orlando Seedless" that accepts muscadine pollen fairly well.
    Does anyone on this list grow Orlando Seedless?
    I may have an offer you cannot refuse.

• plumfan
    14 years ago

Did you find the Orlando eventually?

I have it.

• theloud
    13 years ago

There's a patented hybrid called 'Southern Home' that's mostly rotundifolia, but part vinifera.

Muscadines have such a delicious flavor, quite different from other grapes. I'd like someone to cross them with something hardy so I could get that flavor up here in zone 5, but it seems like all the breeding is being done to get euvitis-flavored grapes that can grow in the steamy south.

• cobble_b
    13 years ago

They have several varieties growing at UF IFAS Research center in Live Oak, FL... The most notable, already mentined by "theloud" is Vitis Rotundifloa, common name of the hybrid is Southern Home...
    It's a big red muscadine grape.

Can you start a grape cutting (hybrid such as southern home) under a mist sytem? now in June?

• rainman777
    13 years ago

I'd be interested in that Zehnder grape. tell me more...

• keking
    13 years ago

Wylie of South Carolina (1870) wrote of his successes and failures in crossing the Scuppernongs with other grapes:
    "Still, notwithstanding my failures and the revelations of the microscope, I have broken the barrier which separates the Scuppernong from the other species of grapes, and produced one prolific plant, with well-formed berries--fine, high musk flavored fruit, and perfect seed; the bunch containing from twenty to twenty-five berries, and ripening in succession as the Scuppernong; and who can predict the fine varieties that may be acquired in future by producing hybrids of this species and planting their seed? for I find that there is no end to the sporting of varieties raised from seed of hybrid plants, or the crosses between two hybrids."
    Karl

• boizeau
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I've pretty much give up on Muscadine. Demands a lot more heat than we get in the PNW, even the hybrids. On the other hand, Vitis Lincecumii, the Post oak grape, sounds very promising as a breeding parent. It too is late, but not nearly so heat demanding as the Muscadines.
    Anyone familiar with V. lincecumii, the "Post Oak Grape"?

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus