Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting a Black Currant Scion onto a Blackberry Rootstock

Posted by celcius1 Australia (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 14, 10 at 5:36

Hi Guys,

I was wondering is it possible to graft a black currant scion onto a blackberry rootstock to produce a hybrid berry plant, as i have noticed that the black currants are of the ribes family of plants, and the black berry are of the rubus family of plants, how high are my chances of the graft taking and producing a unique berry hybrid

Thanks
Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting a Black Currant Scion onto a Blackberry Rootstock

Their nearest common ancestor was probably 110 million years ago. They are very distantly related; both "core eudicots", but that's about it.

o

i have to start out by saying i am no expert just a hobby gardener. most hybrids are from seedlings and some are from mutations/sports but very few hybrides are the result of grafting. it can happen where they throw off a graft chimera and a new plant will result but again fairly rare. it might be worth a shot to see if they are graft compatable. if they are graft compatable than i would get plants started from each. one blackberry rootstock and one currant than top graft the other to it. than use just those grafted plants to try to get them to cross breed it might not increase the chances of success. there is always arguments on if rootstocks influence any resulting seedlings. my point of view is that they share hormones and chemicals so it might not be a huge influence. but if it increases the chances a tiny fraction that there would be a better chance for the two not very close related plants to be able to produce seeds and than the seeds sprout it would still be more of a chance than it would have had withought the rootstock infuence. and even if you do get a hybrid there is nothing saying it will produce fruit there has been allot of hybrids that where completely sterile never producing any flowers at all. it might be worth a try if you have the time patience and grafting skills.

o

There are reports of non-chimera "vegetative hybrids" produced by grafting plants that are only distantly related. It's not easy, and it's best to start with seedlings.

The fact is, you'd have enough difficulty crossing the currant with the closely related gooseberry. Going outside the family usually leads to disappointment.

Karl

Here is a link that might be useful: Zhang: Graft-induced Inheritable Variation in Mungbean (2002)

o

Mikey's right.

Even if the graft was successful (and the odds are highly stacked against it), you would get a Black Current with some traits of the blackberry. Most likely growing habits, not necessarily fruiting ones. But this is all speculation because a graft =/= a hybrid.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here