Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
agent1xe13

Seeds of well known echinaceas cultivars now blooming

agent1xe13
16 years ago

In April of this year, I started seeds I got from well known cultivar of Echinaceas to see what I would get: Sunrise, Art's Pride, Razzmatazz and Double Decker. The mother plants are all grown together close to one another. The bees did the pollination. I'm jsut starting to see the results of it all. It is interesting to see how different or how similar plants cans be. To see the first ones to bloom, 5 of them up to now, see this link (will be updated as the plants bloom):

http://homepage.mac.com/lauriernappert/Echinaceas/index.html

Comments (4)

• milo_z7
    16 years ago

Very interesting, please keep adding pictures! Do you grow the regular species close to the yellow and orange cultivars?

• agent1xe13
    Original Author
    16 years ago

>>Very interesting, please keep adding pictures!Thank you! Yes, I will keep adding pix as new plants bloom or if an already opened flower evolves enough with time. I can't promise I'll do it for very long though, the cold weather is on our doorstep!... I may post new ones this week end (Sunday most likely or begining of next week) since I have new blooms coming up. I have one seed from Sunrise that will finally be yellow as far as I can tell right now. Another one is showing a very light pink color. I have another seed of Art'sPride coming into bloom, I wont dare to try to guess what color it will be, the one that is open right now is so very different from what it promised to be as it opened.

>>Do you grow the regular species close to the yellow and orange cultivars?No, only the plants mentioned in my original post were grown together, but there was a "White Swan" several meters away. So the seeds that are blooming now can be a cross between any of these plants or a selfing of the the plant.

• milo_z7
    16 years ago

Congrats on the yellow! Echinaceas are supposed to be self-incompatible, so all the seeds are probably the result of cross-pollination. Your #5 is my favourite so far, very pretty in both shape and colour, and with the shiny foliage of it's parent.

Here's a thread on Gardenbuddies you may find interesting :-)

• agent1xe13
    Original Author
    16 years ago

>>Congrats on the yellow! Echinaceas are supposed to be self-incompatible, so all the seeds are probably the result of cross-pollination.Thanks for the info! In fact, I'm quite new to echicaceas, I would like to try myself at crossing them but I still have to learn how to do that with this genus. I did several crosses of orchids, registered many of the hybrids I made with the RHS. I'm now into crossing irises, peonies and roses, echinaceas is my next step.

>>Your #5 is my favourite so far, very pretty in both shape and colour, and with the shiny foliage of it's parent.Indeed, it has a very nice flower, very saturated in color, very deep, color fast and shiny. It is also my favorite for now.

>>Here's a thread on Gardenbuddies you may find interesting :-)Thanks for that link, I'll have a look at that.

By the way, I've just updated my page since we're going to have frost over night and I don't know how the plants will deal with that. If they do OK, I'll update the page as the flowers mature.

http://homepage.mac.com/lauriernappert/Echinaceas/index.html