Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hybridizing anemones?

Posted by twrosz Z3 Ab. (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 6, 05 at 15:01

Was wondering if I could cross Japanese anemones with the spring/summer blooming anemone sylvestris? If so, any special method for freezing the pollen of the Japanese hybrids? Thanks!

Terry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hybridizing anemones?

They both have the same chromosome number [2n=16] (although there are references to a tetraploid version of sylvestris 2n=32); a hybrid between the two may not have fertility problems due to mispairing (at least not due to chromosome number differences).

If you have successfully frozen pollen from other species I would suggest using the same method. If not you could try collecting pollen on a q-tip, making certain it is dry and freezing the q-tip in a container. Whatever method you use you could test it in the autumn by collecting some pollen, freezing it for a few days and trying it with crosses on the japanese anemones.

o

Thank you for your comments, I shall go ahead and collect the pollen and see what later comes of things!

Terry

o

did you have any luck yet?

o

Charlie-ia, I had up and forgotten to attempt to do so ... though, might reconsider it. Rather, I've been focusing on the hybridization of very cold hardy roses.

Terry

o

thanks for replying. I guess i'll have no excuse for not giving it a go myself then.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here