Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tomato's and nightshade (Probably a dumb question.)

Posted by aspergersgamer (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 9, 07 at 16:03

Is it possable too cross Tomoto's and deadly nightshade? There both nightshade, but i'm clueless. Any help please?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tomato's and nightshade (Probably a dumb question.)

Aspergersgamer,

When I was growing up on a farm, we grew tomatoes in our garden and deadly nightshade was a fairly common weed in a nearby field. I was concerned at the time that bees might cross the two and produce tomatoes whose hybrid seeds might be toxic. None of us died from eating our tomatoes, but I certainly wouldn't deliberately cross the two.

Ironically, there was a time over a hundred years ago when tomatoes themselves were thought to be poisonous. If memory serves, tomatoes were referred to as "love apples."

MM

o

Thanks for the reply Maineman, it's quite helpfull, But it's safe too cross them aslong as you put them in a fenced area, and there not eaten. Plus i think it would only effect the plant of the tomato, not the tomatos themselfs. (Confusing, but eh.) Thanks again Maineman.

o

Aspergersgamer,

"... I think it would only affect the plant of the tomato, not the tomatoes themselves."

I wouldn't be so sure of that. The black berries of the Deadly Nightshade are themselves poisonous, so the F1 hybrids would very possibly have poisonous berry-tomatoes. After all, a tomato is botanically a berry. Incidentally, that's the answer to the old question of whether a tomato is a fruit or a vegetable. It's neither. It's a berry.

MM

o

But MM, berries are a fruit, a fruit with multiple seeds contained in pulp, which was produced from a single ovary.

So tomatoes are a fruit.

TBH the definition of a vegetable is hazy, and certainly not scientific, any edible part of a plant can be considered a vegetable, so logically a tomato is a fruit, vegetable and a berry.

Under US tax law a tomato is a vegetable.

o

I hope we're not confusing Deadly Nightshade (Atropa belladonna) and the Black Nightshade (Solanum nigrum), which has fruit that are edible if cooked.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solanum_nigrum
Neither crosses with the tomato.
Karl

Here is a link that might be useful: CybeRose & Bulbs

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here