Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Poppy vs Poppy

Posted by Charlene_in_Iowa 5 Zone (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 11, 03 at 18:49

I have several types/colors of poppies and wanted to make a poppy field of sorts, would following poppies become a cross of poppies, or will each new plant grow true to the original. I hope that makes sense. If they can cross, would the colors change?
Thank you,
Charlene

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Poppy vs Poppy

Hi Charlene,
I think you'll find that you'd get an interesting variety the next season, some will look like the originals some would be intermediate and there will be perhaps be some that don't look much like any of the possible parents.
I assume that you're growing varieties of one species of poppy. This year I'm growing P. rhoeas, somniferum and nudicale all mixed together in the same area with some P. orientale in a nearby garden bed, really looking forward to seeing how any inter-species crosses from this will turn out.

Daniel

o

Hi Daniel,
You know I'm not sure of the exact species. There are different colors. Orientale, California-geez I have quite a few. My hope is just to outline my garden bed with them, or there is that location where I could just really make a field of them (decisions decisions :)), but I was at first wondering to keep them all seperate so I could trade any seeds next year. I think I am going to go with my plan and where the seed falls so be it.
Thank you for your help.
Charlene

o

Luther Burbank crossed Papaver somniferum x P. orientale. The reciprocal cross always failed for him. The hybrids were almost sterile, but were perennial like the pollen parent. They also bloomed over a long season. I've wanted to repeat the cross, but never had the species in bloom at the same time.

Here's some details on the origin of the Shirley Poppies and Burbank's Blue Poppy:
http://www.bulbnrose.com/Heredity/shirleys.htm

Here is a link that might be useful: CybeRose

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here