Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My phlox are turning white

Posted by flwrz 4b (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 7, 06 at 20:46

I'm hoping you will help an inexperienced gardener...

I had quite a few lavendar-pink garden phlox in my border and enjoyed the drifts of color. Three years ago (not realizing the effects of cross-pollination), I made the mistake of planting a white phlox nearby, and the following year had a whole lot more white phlox than pink. When I saw what was happening, I gave away the white phlox I had planted, but this year the remaining plants still have way more white blooms than pink ones. Is there anything I can do to restore the original color? If I have to replant, are there bright pink varieties that are more likely to remain true in color? Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Susie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My phlox are turning white

If Oprah and Ellen moved in nextdoor to each other would they both turn into Micheal Jackson? No.

Planting a white phlox next to a pink phlox will not turn the pink phlox white. Most likely you are allowing your phlox to reseed and the offspring are not true to type. Mark your pink phlox divide it and weed out all of the offtype volunteers.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here