Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeniarose_gw

Hibiscus traits

gardeniarose
17 years ago

Wow, I didn't even know this forum existed. I have a hibiscus question. I have about a dozen seedlings (H. rosa-sinensis) that are about 6 months old. Some are about 4 feet tall already. Some began branching from the main stem from a very young age, while others are still just one large main stem with leaves growing directly from that main stem. My question is this: Is the branching trait the only desirable one? Will the others eventually start branching out and become shrub-like or will they keep this presumably wild-type trait? Also, all the plants in the shops have the round/heart shaped leaves. Are the lobed varieties considered undesirable? I've got both. Thanks! BTW, none of them have flowered yet, too young.

Comments (3)

• brianmkerr
    17 years ago

Hi Gardeniarose, Welcome to the site. A lot of great help and knowledge can be found by the helpful members on this site - speaking as one who has been helped.

Branching traits on seedling hibiscus are genetic and somewhat unpredictable. Experience shows self-branching seedlings usually have self-branching parents or grandparents, but then others from the same cross will not be good self-branchers .. and then again, the odd good brancher will show up amongst a group with 99% non-self-branching habits. So you see the somewhat unpredictable is the name of the game with modern day hybrids!

Generally when you cross quality bushes with quality bushes, a good number of the resultant seedlings are self-branching.

Is the branching trait the only desirable one? Branching without tip pinching or pruning is always ideal as it means less effort and time spent pruning to produce a more desirable shaped bush, more blooms due to more branches and in general, a more dense and attractive bush. Nearly the same result can be obtained from non-self-branching bushes with the right pruning at the right times.

One fact that does create a seedling growing straight up without side branches is growing them side by side where the only light is up. Take a couple of these types and try growing them alone with lots of light and you may be surprised to see many side shoots soon appearing.

Also, many seedlings are known to just grow straight up and you do not get to see true potentail or branching capacity until you grow cuttings on or graft.

As for the leaves, 'traits on seedling hibiscus are genetic and somewhat unpredictable', including leaves. The same applies here with parentage, ie some parents hand down their similar leaves / grandparents leaves. Your seedlings probably come from parents with similar leaves. Lobed leaves are considered to be a primitive type of leaf and most often disappear to be replaced with more traditional types of leaf (round/heart), as the plant matures. However, some bushes do retain the lobed leaves and are quite appealing and often sought after for their uniqueness. Certain crosses produce lobed leafed seedlings, esp Cuban Variety, Tiny Tina and Little Red.

Hopefully your self-branching ones will also have a nice lobed leaf and produce many beautiful blooms with appealing form.

Good luck - it is an exciting time you are in for.
    Regards, Brian Kerr.

• gardeniarose
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Brian. I don't know why I never responded to your post. I know I've read it before but I guess I just ditzed out. I have a seedling here that has just put out its first bloom. I am pretty excited even though I am only working with the garden varieties. I emailed someone from the American Hibiscus Society with picture of the bloom to see if it is recognizable. I don't recognize it. I was wondering if you would. Can I email you some pictures? It's a pretty little flower, very plain. Looks like White Wings only it is pink. The same kind of pink that Painted Lady is. More of a mauve-pink I guess. I don't know if my email address is posted here on the site. I will go and check that out now. Hope to hear from you!

• brianmkerr
    17 years ago

Hi Gardeniarose, I've been away on hols. If you mail the pics of your hibiscus, I'll check it out for sure.
    Regards, Brian Kerr.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler