Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hybrid Quercus ID

Posted by poultryguy 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 15, 08 at 23:27

Having a hard time identifying some oaks in a hybrid swarm zone. For the last four years I've been looking for the parent Quercus macrocarpa and still can't find it, but, I'm finding plenty of seedlings. Odd enough as that is, I know that the majority of the white oaks on and surrounding my property directly are of a hybrid nature. Here's the problem, all variations aside, they look like Schuette's oak, a cross between Q. bicolor (swamp white) and Q. macrocarpa (bur oak). Today I found two things that make me second guess this cross as being the only parent responsible for the majority of the white oaks I'm looking at. #1 is the weird single trunked tree that's about 50'-60' tall with short side branches all the way up, like a columnar apple only reaching about 15' wide. This tree had huge bur-caps all around it, with internal measurements of over 1-1/8 inch in diameter! The leaves looked just like all the other "Schuette oaks" I've seen. #2 is an adjoining property, with a pure stand of post oaks, Q. stellata, that although are small in stature as they should be, have the exact growth form of the hybrid swarm. So I have two questions... could a stellata x macrocarpa look like bicolor x macrocarpa and does anyone have a photo of a verified stellata x macrocarpa. Yes, I fully realize that the hybrid swarm we have here could be the result of a three way cross, but stellata has such a drastic character difference from the other two it hardly seems plausible.

I'm including a photo of leaves and caps collected from several hybrids in the center of a small group. If you can't tell, the caps have heavy macrocarpa traits.
Photobucket

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated!
Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hybrid Quercus ID

Seeing how old this subject is, I'm guessing that most folks familiar with Quercus are reticent to try because of their great variabiliy. However, sticking my neck out, I would steer you toward an English (Q. robur) / bur hybrid. Check out Heritage Oak if you can. One could almost wonder if Chestnut (Q. prinus) could be a parent. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here