Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ultraeco

the genus Malus (the apple family)

ultraeco
22 years ago

can anyone give me a complete list of all the members of the genus Malus ? preferably with the advantages of each plant.

Which are native to the new world? the U.S.?

all of the 25 species in the genus malus can crossbreed.

Comments (9)

• hendy
    22 years ago

My reference is the book..**Trees and shrubs of the Dominion
    arboretum p.62-72..you can found..Malus baccata.. M.coronaris..M.floribunda..M.hupehensis..M.ionensis..
    M.prunifolia..M.pumila..M.sargentii..M.sieboldii..
    M.spectabilis..M.toringoides..etc.. an interesting reference
    book..
    Hendy

• membertom
    22 years ago

ultraeco,
    There's a really good book on Malus at the local library. If I remember right, it's called "Crabapples". It would probably be pretty expensive to buy, but I hope you can find a copy in your area. Tom

• branski
    20 years ago

The book is "Flowering Crabapples: The Genus Malus"
    by John L. Fiala

• Walter_Pickett
    20 years ago

No, no one can give you a list of the Malus species, unless you say what taxonomist you want used.
    This is one genus that lumpers and splitters have battled over for over a century.
    Waltseed

• ryanferre
    20 years ago

Another good book which I am very lucky to have in my possesion is Hortus Third - I have the real one--not the little multiversion things! LOL

Ry

• Kalorama
    19 years ago

Does anyone know where I can buy a Malus x adirondack?

I am in Washington, DC.

Thanks for your help?

• boizeau
    19 years ago

We have a native species M. Fusca in Washington. It doesn't dwf. much, but it is tolerant of very wet soils so may have some use.
    I am into finding wild seedling apple trees and have a few unknown volunteer seedlings---probably from named varieties planted by birds and such.

Boizeau

• Walter_Pickett
    19 years ago

I have been wondering about M. fusca as bonsai for about a year, since I first read about it.
    Since it toerates wet soils, I thought it would be less likely to die if overwatered. Maybe the pot could even sit in water if I would be gone for a few days.
    I live in central Kansas, and bonsai in those little pots dry out so fast. That is why I am interested in trees that can stand to sit in wter for a while.
    Any thoughts on this Boizeau?
    Walter
    And do you have seeds or small trees available?

• GrapeNut
    19 years ago

Walter, I've got alot of m. fusca that is native that I will be taking out this winter. You are welcome to some babies to try out. email: grapenut at operamail dot com

This summer i have chip budded quince and Hudsons Golden Gem apple to it. We will see how it all performs next spring!

Sponsored
Craftsman Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Home Builder 3x Best of Houzz Award Winner