Return to the Hybridizing Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I would like links as to how to hybridize and pollinate flowers?

Posted by ladyrose65 6bNJ (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 4, 12 at 17:53

I am new to this site. Would appreciate information, website, forum posts. I would like to try to pollinate my flowers this summer. How hard is it to get a new flower or a variation of what you cross pollinate?
(I want to start with Zinnias, cosmos and coreopsis)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I would like links as to how to hybridize and pollinate flowe

Hey ladyrose!
I did a quick search for you. Go to www.youtube.com and in the search text box at the top type "how to pollinate flowers." There is pleny there to get you started.

I started with daylilies, which are easy. And I work with Amaryllis (hippeastrum) as well - also easy. But I wouldn't know where to start with the flower in your picture.

Good luck
Mike

o

A good new book about hybriding coming out in March is "Plant Breeding for the Home Gardener" by Joseph Tychonievich. You can preorder on Amazon. I just read it and loved it and I'm in the business (of breeding).

o

Will someone tell me what the embryo of the plant is

o

In botany, a seed plant embryo is part of a seed, consisting of precursor tissues for the leaves, stem (see hypocotyl), and root (see radicle), as well as one or more cotyledons.

Pictures can be found with Google Images searching for "plant embryo" [Doesn't seem to matter too much if you use the quotes or not but they narrow it a bit.]

o

Thanks Albert that was really helpful! I wasn't able to find a picture like that when I was searching Google.

o

• Posted by zenman Ottawa KS 5b (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 1, 13 at 23:26

I am a hobbyist zinnia breeder. In order to speed up getting a second generation of zinnias, I have found that it is possible to extract the embryos from green zinnia seeds and plant just the embryos. The embryos come up much faster than if you plant the green seeds, because the seed coat of a green seed is still living and impervious to water.

A planted green seed has to wait for the seed coat to die and become pervious to water before it will germinate. That can take a week or more, while the embryo germination is almost immediate. That technique might work with other plants.

ZM

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hybridizing Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here