Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sambal_gw

How are parents of F1's selected? For Traits?

sambal
16 years ago

Hi. SAM again with a pretty dumb sounding question, about the beginning of the whole chain of hybridization. I imagine one attempts to hybridize because of the desire to 'fix' desirable traits? The thing is, if I were to select two dandilions (that will soon be blooming in my gardens), that are 'wild' and look like all the other dandilions, and I wanted to cross them, for no reason but curiosity, would the offspring be considered f1,or better X1, simply because I had 'crossed' them? What about 'sports'? I have a beautiful perennial vinca that is super large and puts out a couple of branches with pure white leaves intermingled with the variagated green leaves. It does this every year. Should I try and keep it going with vegetative prop. or try to work through pollination? T I've grown plants for 45 years, but trying my hand at hybridizing is something I've always wanted to do, but just never tried. Rather than having to ask all of these questions, perhaps someone could refer me to a good book on botanical genetics? Loads of thanks, SAM

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions