Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
munalos

How I label my flowers

munalos
21 years ago

Hello,

I wanted to share with you a technique I use to label individual flowers I cross or isolate.

Using elastic cord and colored beads, I am able to make lightweight "tags" that stay with the developing fruits. They are set to a color code I describe so that they can be read at a glance.

Please, visit my page if this is interesting to you. Feedback is always welcome.

http://dougs.home.westpa.net/beaded

Thank you,

Douglas

Comments (4)

• rodnroses
    21 years ago

Nice idea Doug.
    Just a comment - did you know that there is a color code that is used in electronics for identifying resistors, capacitors etc.
    Could save others from having to learn a new code.
    Suppose we could use a personal code to deter others from reading the labels?
    I have used colored paper clips to identify 'major' crosses. ( ie - when I have heaps of that particular cross. )
    Rod.

• munalos
    Original Author
    21 years ago

Rod,
    I still prefer my own code. It uses the color spectrum as a guide and alternating betwwen dark and light. Locating the right color beads is the key.

The biggest point is selecting a system/code that is best for you. When I am crossing flowers I prefer to have little to no distractions

I still haven't heard of any native cultures using colored beads to represent numbers but, I assume that several must have done so in the past.

• munalos
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi,
    I have been out of touch for a while. I have had an active year that has prevented me from doing a lot of things. I am still active, I just haven't been able to keep in touch.
    I just got broadband but I had to let my old site go http://dougs.home.westpa.net/
    I want to have a unchanging web page / site so I registered the following site: http://www.uporo.com

I plan to keep this site and redirect it to whatever current provider I have. My e-mail will still be the same till may or June at least. I hope to have another stable e-mail soon.

Sincerely, Douglas (AKA: Gene Tyle , Dougs, Munalos)

• maineman
    17 years ago

Hi all,

This year I started using the green Velcro tape wrapped around the stem, a little bit like a ring on a finger, and on the protruding end I simply wrote a number with a permanent marker. I started with "1" and got into the high sixties. I kept a garden journal with a number on each page corresponding to the numbers on the Velcro tape, which gave me plenty of room to describe the cross. And as things progressed I could come back and add additional descriptive material in the journal.

I used to use tags made of card stock stapled to pieces of Twist-em to make my labels, but this new scheme takes lots less time and worked much better for me. I already had a roll of the light green Velcro tape for tying vines to a fence or tomato cage. I also had on hand permanent black "Sharpie" markers, which soaked into the Velcro tape enough to make the numbers really permanent.

MM

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor