Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To prune or not to prune2

Posted by lmsjfs 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 17, 10 at 20:39

Here's the tree pix form for the original post. Sorry!

Image link: To prune or not to prune2 (25 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To prune or not to prune2

Not sure what the nursery that you went to had in mind. Some hydrangeas will have a weeping look when they are full of open and heavy blooms. Once the blooms fade then the stem becomes more upright. And stems with few blooms may not want to weep.

o

• Posted by botann z8 SEof Seattle (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 6, 10 at 2:06

I'd cut the lawn back to allow the hydrangea to grow to it's full potential to allow for potential weeping. Not enough room as is.

o

It does look crowded with the azaleas flanking the back and the daylilies in front. I've hesitating to reign in the azaleas, but these have a more vertical growth. I'll probably cut them back a bit to give the hydrangea more room on the sides. What about raising the lower tier of the Hydrangea and letting the top do its thing? This was suppose to be a specimen planting. The landscape designer originally wanted to put a vertical Japanese Maple in this spot. I'm getting more convinced the installation guys didn't make the bed deep enough with every year that passes.

Can you tell I'm stumped on shaping this baby??? LOL

o

Just a quick follow-up. Since I pruned the baby back last fall, I'm pleased to report that my baby is demonstrating vigorous growth with MULTIPLE branches (15+) growing in the top area. I'm going to let it do its thing this season and see how it turns out for the blooms. I think I may have gotten lucky this time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here