Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plants to accompany hydrangeas in raised bed?

Posted by oswiff NY LI z7a (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 1:46

Hello,
Started my hydrangeas Fall 2011. Looking to add something this season and looking for ideas.
Thinking about alliums in the back. Has anyone done this with pics to share?
Any thoughts for low options for in front? Ideally something white and low maintenance. Was thinking about vincas. Something that blooms earlier than the hydrangeas would be a plus.
Pic is in July.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plants to accompany hydrangeas in raised bed?

here's the pic.

o

• Posted by Dgregory 6A - So.Central IL (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 20, 13 at 11:24

Vinca can become invasive and you may regret using it in this bed. I have planted some, which is now invading a bed, and am dreading removing it next spring.

A better option, that will give you white flowers in spring, might be Lamium maculatum 'White Nancy'. When not in bloom it is interesting leaves brighten up the area. Lamium maculatum 'White Nancy' should fit in well with your hydrangea's water and light conditions.

From looking at your pic, I think the bed will fill in nicely with your hydrangea. There may not be much room for plants behind, close to the house. Perhaps give the hydrangea another year or two to see how large they get before investing time and money on plants at the rear?

Very pretty setting, btw!

Deb

o

Hi Deb, thanks for the tip. Very pretty plant. I will look into it.
You're right there's probably not that much room behind for ay shrub or otherwise larger plants, I was thinking alliums to give interest earlier in the season and the hydrangea leaves should green up and hide the dying allium foliage. A better description would be next to/between than behind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here