Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
duncanmsu

Pink Flowered Annabelle Hydrangea

Tim Wood
15 years ago

North Carolina State University has developed what we have all been hoping for - a pink mophead form of Hydrangea arborescens. Not only is it pink but it also produces new flowers without deadheading or pruning right up until frost.

You can see it at the Plant Hunter Blog:

http://plant-quest.blogspot.com/

Comments (10)

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

Very exciting news, duncanmsu. Some of the highlights:

* Soil pH does not influence the flower color. This plant will a-l-w-a-y-s have pink flowers regardless of the soil Ph type.

* The blooms start a dark hot pink and age to a clear pink.

* The name is Invincibelle ÂSpiritÂ

* continuous blooming... starts in late May or June and produces new flowers right up until frost.

* available at retail under the Proven Winners ColorChoice brand in spring of 2010.

* small contribution made to the fight against breast cancer (to The Breast Cancer Research Foundation

* USDA Zones 3-9 (perennial in zone 3)

* In the South, it should be planted in partial shade.

* Deciduous

* Breeder: Dr. Thomas Ranney, NCSU.

* other plants of interest in the blog: Double Play Artist Spirea and Double Play Gold Spirea

Thanks again, duncanmsu. I guess I should statrt to plant more shade producing trees now to be ready,just in time, for Spring 2010, hu? Hee hee hee! Luis

• razorback33
    15 years ago

Here's the pix....

Hope it's as good as 'Annabelle'
    Have it on my list!
    Rb

• Freda
    14 years ago

Have it on my list as well. Hopefully next week it will be in my garden!!

• ditas
    14 years ago

Luis thanks for all the details!!! Does it say any where, if the stems might be heftier than Annabelle's

Wow! ... and a portion of sale will support a good cause as well ... good deal!!! Â;)

• bellarosa
    14 years ago

I want one too! :-) Where can I buy one or two?

• Freda
    14 years ago

I bought mine from Gardenimport. They are located in Ontario.

• Freda
    14 years ago

Well my Invincibelle Spirit Hydrangea arrived today in the mail. I am so excited that I got one.

• lsimms
    14 years ago

Dang, emailed the grower for any news,

Enjoy!

• luis_pr
    14 years ago

As is normal with some introductions, this variant may be difficult to find and expensive at first. I too did not find it locally and have not seen it advertised in mail order websites. Perhaps they are sticking to the official introduction date of Spring 2010. Check Spring Meadows Website regularly and ask local nurseries with "PW, Proven Winner" in the plastic pots. That suggests that the nursery dows business with Spring Meadows Nursery. In that case, inquire about special ordering Invincibelle for Spring 2010. This is the only place in their website that talked about ways to find local dealers; note the website name changed when I clicked into that link (not sure what's that all about):

http://www.colorchoiceplants.com/sources.htm

Click on 'retailers by state' or 'Mail Order or Web Source'.

• slimwhitman
    13 years ago

I just got an email notice that another pink cultivar is due in spring 2011 from Bailey. It's called Bella Anna.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bella Anna Hyd. info page

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!