Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joopster

It been so cold up north this winter

joopster
10 years ago

It been so cold here in Chicago and next week will be around negative 10. I'm afraid non of my new plants that I planted in the summer wouldn't make it. Most of my hydrangeas are not covered, beside piles of now. Oh well, guess I'll be replacing most of them in Spring.

Comments (12)

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

I always worry about Summer and Fall plantings but remember one ironic thing: snow is a very good insulator and can help them handle extreme temperature conditions! Too much heavy snow on top can break/bend stems but otherwise, some snow is 'ok'. Good luck in the New Year!

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

Hope you and the hydrangeas are keepng warm during this artic vortex thing!

• joopster
    Original Author
    10 years ago

OMG it was so freezing. Thanks for giving me hope guys.... LOL... My husband pretty much cover all the plants with snow before it get below -15. Snow is our only hope to keep those poor plants insulated.

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

This is why I only plant H. paniculata. They are so much rewarding and tough as nails.

The snow on the flowerheads swaying in the wind is just magical.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    10 years ago

been in the teens several times this winter. Wonder what I will have in the spring as I never protect.

• sandyl
    10 years ago

Wow!!! This winter has been something eles, the last two weeks here in mid TN we have been down to single digits with wind chills below zero many mornings and go up to only the low teens during the day. I'm more a clematis person then a hydrabgea person, I have over 25 clematis and they can handle the cold even in pots with no protection but I'm kinda new to hydrangea with only having two that have been in the ground two years this coming spring. One is a blue endless summer that has mulch around it, I haven't trimmed any of the steams from last year, but I can't believe any of them would have survived this cold without more protection then just mulch. It will probably have to come back from the crown this spring. The other one I have had for about 4 years, its from a florist shop, a beautiful bright pink, and the first two years it was in a large pot outdoors year round but not cold like this year and it did fine. I put it in the ground two years ago but it hasn't bloomed since being out in the ground, I think I put way to much farm produced cow manure in the hole, I put almost a 5 gal bucket of aged cow poo in the very large hole when I planted it two years ago and it has only been very green and very very lush for the last two years so this year I hope the cow manure has disipated and it will bloom for me this year. I did build a fence around the pink one last fall with chicken wire and then line the chicken wire with cardbaord and then filled in the fence area with about 5 bushel of dry fall leaves and I'm hopeful that privided protection this winter for that one. I think it will be fine. Hurry up spring, I'm done with winter.. I promise not to complain about hot summer weather ever again. Who am I kidding, come July and its' 100 plus outside I'll be complaining its to hottttttt.

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    10 years ago

10 degrees here tonight but at least the hydrangeas are under a blanket of snow! Though that will be gone by this weekend. Come on Spring!

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    10 years ago

Well it got to zero here this morning. Very hard winter-hope the snow cover helped!!!!

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

What hydrangeas do you folks have concerns about?

36 days below zero this winter, several lows -10+. Only issues here will be mophead and oakleaf dieing to the ground.

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

Well, it started as hydrangeas in snowy Chicago but then I think we started concentrating on a variety called Hu Mans! Hee hee hee!

• hokierustywilliamsbu
    10 years ago

Well most of my hydrangeas are 5 to 6 feet tall and do not know if they were killed to the ground as we rarely ever get this cold for so long....

• whaas_5a
    10 years ago

You just cut back to healthy green tissue...similar practice with roses.

My oakleaf was 4' tall....had to almost cut back to stubs. Filled out fairly quickly.

No worries hokie if its hardy.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022