Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
a little control on the oakleaf?

Posted by deragaga z7 GA (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 18, 10 at 14:04

I realize this isn't a popular thing to do, but my gorgeous oakleaf hydrangea is sited in front of my electric meter and the meter reader periodically requests that I clear her a route.

Now that winter's here and the plant's form is so distinct, I'm planning to take out a few branches, but I don't want to destroy the shape of the plant. I understand about spring blooms, but I'll just have to sacrifice for this year.

My question: is it better to remove a few branches all the way back from the center of the plant, or to shorten more branches by cutting, say, two feet from the ends?

I realize this won't be a popular question! I, too, hate to reduce the size even a little bit (overall, it's lovely at about 10' in height and as much or more wide). Just hoping for a creative and not-too-painful solution on this one.

Thanks so much,
Dera

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: a little control on the oakleaf?

I wouldn't trim it at all! Have the power co. install a remote read meter. The meter reader can then read the meter from a distance. I have had one of those for 30 years. They can read my meter from the street, without entering the property.
I received a notice recently from my power provider, that they will begin reading their meters by electronic means, via the distribution lines, so the day's of the meter reader are numbered!

We have several neighbors, who has meters in inaccessible locations, at rear of the home, behind locked gates, in their basement, etc. The customer reads the meter and forwards the readings to the power co. The powers co. occasionally requests permission to read the meter and they will make an appointment with the homeowner to do so.

You are THEIR customer, not the reverse!

o
RE: a little control on the oakleaf?

• Posted by whaas 5a Milwaukee (My Page) on
    Tue, Jan 19, 10 at 11:30

Ditto...get an electronic one. I thought most electric companies made mandatory switches to get more accurate readings.

Your planting should not have to sacrifice due the electric company being behind the 8 ball.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here