Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shooting Star Hydrangea?

Posted by iris_9 z9CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 22, 10 at 14:14

I received this as a gift and it didn't come with a tag. I think it is "Shooting Star" and I'm wondering if it will do well ouside in a pot. How big should the pot be? I'm in a climate with hot dry summers so I think it will do best facing east, possibly north? ( click on image for larger view) hydrangea

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shooting Star Hydrangea?

Also goes by the names 'Fuji Waterfall' or 'Hanabi'.....I believe 'Fuji Waterfall' is the preferred name. This is a very popular florist's hydrangea selection - I bought mine at the grocery store :-) In mild climates, this can definitely be grown as a container plant. If yours is in a standard 6" pot, I'd likely plant up to a 5 gallon container (15-18" across, 12" or more deep). IME, this is not the hardiest hydrangea, so I might approach things differently in colder locations.

East or north should be good or under some sort of dappled shade cover. Pay attention to watering in summer - containers can (and actually should) dry out pretty quickly in dry, hot weather and you do not want the potting soil to dry our completely.

Since its been grown and kept indoors, first in a greenhouse, then with some retailer and now in your home, it needs to be kept indoors and very gradually weaned to being outdoors over a period of time. I'd enjoy it indoors while its in bloom and replant for an outdoor container later this spring. That will shorten the time it'll take to get acclimated outdoors.

o
RE: Shooting Star Hydrangea?

Thank you, gardengal, for your reassuring advice. I don't always have the best of luck with hydrangeas in the ground. That's why I think I'll try it in a pot at first and see in what location it is happiest. Our triple digit summers are defiinitely hard on hydrangeas!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here