Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me save my hydrangea!

Posted by koms1016 TX (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 24, 13 at 15:53

As you can see from the attached picture, my endless hydrangea isn't doing so well. Any idea what's wrong with it? Should I prune it? Is this normal for winter? It gets water and sun, so not sure how to bring it back to life. I never got large blooms from it but would LOVE to have them.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me save my hydrangea!

Yes, this is perfectly normal albeit a little late in the season. Hydrangeas are deciduos so in the winter months, the leaves will turn colors and dry out (they are dry when the leaves brown out). As the leaves change colors, you will see areas where they develop fungal infections called leaf spots. These tend to be reddish, purplish, round.... colored areas other than green. These leaves can be tossed in the trash when they dry out so the spores will not spread. You can reduce this problem in future years by doing no overhead watering and keeping the area under the plant free of plant debris (you should only see the mulch).

o

Wow, I was going to ask the same question regarding my Merritt's Supreme" hydrangeas(Hydrangea macrophylla). I am so glad that you have answered this question. The leaves on mine are soft and moist. Is that a sign of overwatering? Should I cut them off now or let them dry out? Thanks!

o

I would let the plants get whatever nourishment they want/need from the existing leaves and just forget about cutting the leaves. Eventually, they will dry out and "disintegrate". If a sudden cold spell comes by, that will accelerate the leaves' changes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here