Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suz9601

Need help with hydrangea companions

suz9601
9 years ago

Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. It is 32 feet long and ranges from 4.5 to 8 feet deep. It will receive sun until about noon each day, then the fence will shade it. I am in zone 6, Kansas City area. I am putting in 3 endless summer original in the middle and maybe some blushing brides on the end. I am looking for some ideas on what to plant with them. I thought maybe some grasses or hostas. Not sure which ones. They have to be able to take the sun until about noon.

Also I was wondering if there is a big difference between endless summer and forever and ever.

Thanks for any ideas on what specific plants I can use with the endless summer hydrangeas.

Comments (8)

• luis_pr
    9 years ago

I like to use short Kurume azaleas that bloom before the hydrangeas and are short so they can go in front of or on the sides of hydrangeas like Hino Crimson (nice red color), Christmas Cheer (nice bloom color and awase fall foliage for me). You can also use hostas and camellias that like to grow sideways more than upright. You can also use annuals, holly bushes, daffodils, heuchera, ferns and in bright shade you could add some daylilies. Just make sure they are good in Zone 6.

• suz9601
    Original Author
    9 years ago

THanks so much for your reply. I appreciate the suggestions. The combo sounds lovely. There are so many choices it is overwhelming, but I am excited to get the garden started this Spring.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

Azaleas is a great idea. I'd look for some encore ones too bc they bloom three times a year. I have roses planted with mine too but they get more sun than that but you might could find some that do good on less than 6 hours of sun. I too have daylilies and host with some of mine. Anxious to see pics when you finish. Judy

suz9601 thanked Prettypetals_GA_7-8
  • Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    9 years ago

I was thinking about phlox too. Not the spring once blooming but it would be pretty in the very front but the summer varieties. If you prune them they will rebloom. I get 3 flushes usually but I have a long blooming time.

suz9601 thanked Prettypetals_GA_7-8
  • suz9601
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the help. I have not started planting yet, it is getting down to 4 degrees here tonight, so I have a ways to go! But I am planning and dreaming while i wait on Mother nature to move the warmer weather in. :)

• ophoenix
    9 years ago

I use any of the wonderful Pulmonaria family - Lungworts. they come in all sizes and colorful foliage to brighten up the shaded area of the hydrangea planting. Brunnera is another great plant - both are perennials and will slowly spread and keep weeds under the bushes at bay. Depending on your zone, these will almost be evergreen but in our zone 8b, they were sleeping for only a couple of months and are starting to wake up now. These can be a bit pricy but worth it.

suz9601 thanked ophoenix
  • ophoenix
    9 years ago

Hosta, pulmonaria and brunnera as ground covers under hydrangeas. Photo taken early June. The Hydrangeas will cover the fence in a few weeks. Shown are Lady in Red, Ayesha, and Nikko Blue. The fern in front is a native Bracken and impossible to eradicate - so we just learned to love it.

suz9601 thanked ophoenix