Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Good Question?

Posted by melaroma 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 16, 10 at 17:16

I am in zone 6 and am thinking of watering my hydrangeas tomorrow as it will be in the high 30's. My question is will that kill them or will that be ok? Is it necesary? They are caged and under an overhang so they don't get snowed and plants need water right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Good Question?

Is your soil frozen? Can you dig down to see how dry it might be below the surface? There is no transpiration going on now so the shrubs will need far less water than they would in season but the root zone should not be allowed to dry out. The flip side of this is that moisture tends to stay in the soil in winter (there being no - or very little - evaporation going on), so watering needs for landscape plants tends to be drastically reduced.

Check as best you can for the need to before watering unnecessarily.

o

• Posted by mxk3 z5b/6 MI (My Page) on
    Mon, Jan 18, 10 at 10:36

Has your snow melted yet? If not, just plop a few shovelfuls of snow around the plants - as the snow slowly melts and the ground begins to unfreeze, the snow will gently water the ground. I use this trick with stored potted plants, and it works great :0)

o

Melting snow will work like a drip irrigation. This is the best way to water in a winter :-))

o

• Posted by whaas 5a Milwaukee (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 20, 10 at 20:28

I use shovelfuls of snow to protect some of my plants from the darn rabbits.

If your soil is frozen you shouldn't be watering. He hit 38 degrees last week and the ground was definitely still frozen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here