Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
october_gardens

2012 New USDA Zone Hardiness Map

October_Gardens
12 years ago

Good news for all Hydrangea owners. Warmer climate trends have led to the "shifting" of the plant hardiness zones a bit further north, so depending on where you live, you may or may not get an opportunity to see better results with your traditional macs and even your rembloomers, and some may begin cutting back or skipping winter protection altogether!

Just type your zip code into the box on the official gov't website:

http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/Default.aspx

For example, I was upgraded from 6A to 6B!

Comments (9)

• melaroma
    12 years ago

That can't be right, I live in a zone 5 and according to the new USDA Map I am now in zone 7A. That is a big jump....

• luis_pr
    12 years ago

Wow, that is a big jump! Although mine looked unchanged, I wonder if there are problems in the Zip Code to USDA Zone conversion software.

Here is safety check suggestion.... try selecting your state using the "select your state" box; then visually locate your city or county in the map. Does the color assigned appears closer to what your current zone is? 5? or 6? If so, it may be a software error in the Zip Code translation Software and I would report it to them.

• SYinUSA, GA zone 8
    12 years ago

Zone maps always confuse me for my area. Every website I go to gives me a different zone, ranging from 7A to 5b! As a result, I try to pick plants that grow well within that range and preferably at least one zone hotter and colder. It's not easy!

• melaroma
    12 years ago

I just checked by selecting my state and checked the color and it does appear that I am now a zone 7A. It is Crazy but maybe my hydrangeas will do fine without the winter protection!

Anenemity, try calling your local nursery, they should be able to tell you exactly what zone you are in.

• liza070831
    12 years ago

I have gone from Z4 toZ5. I think this has been my zone right along judging by the z5/6 roses that have survived without protection. I have not protected my endless summer for two years now and last year I had the best bloom season ever. This year the old stalks are covered with buds.

• October_Gardens
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yep - if you have any doubts, the evidence should be right there in front of you. I've only noticed dieback down 4-6" Max on any stem from any height! Last year was 1 to 1.5 feet of dieback...

• HIWTHI
    12 years ago

link

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• melaroma
    12 years ago

That's true, I have noticed that most of my plants did not die back completely. My hydrangeas are getting a jump start so I wonder if we will have a lonnger blooming season this year. This is the 1st year that I haven't covered my ES and BBs due to not getting around to it in the fall and it looks like I "picked" a good year for not doing it. As a gardener I can't complain.

• ditas
    11 years ago

Thanks for this info!!!

Like you melaroma ~ ran out of time for the usual winter cover-ups for my H Divas but they were lightly burlap'd ~ just my 10 marginal bloomers (lacecaps). ES, F&E BB & T&S were left on their own to fend for themselves. Buds galore ... except for a few but I expect them to join the party soon!!!

Easy winter & early spring woke them up early ~ even the Hummers are visiting the few colorful dianthus & the humming bird cafes I hang early are getting visits from passing thru li'l jewels!!!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!