Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Oak Leaf Hydrangeas

Posted by darlene_2010 7 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 23, 10 at 18:50

To Prune or Not to Prune, that is the question...
Sept. of '08 I purchased a home with well-established plants. The original owner had had a beautiful yard, but after her death, the next owner allowed the cudzu and ivy to overgrow EVERYTHING for three years. I had a crew come in to hack through all of it, and in the process the oak leaf hydrangeas which I didn't even know existed were cut also cut drastically. They came back well last summer, but no blooms. Now it's Jan. and I have tall wooden stalks sticking up. Do I dare cut anything, and if so, how much and when? One plant has stalks 6-7 ft. tall...... Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Oak Leaf Hydrangeas

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 24, 10 at 12:02

Darlene, your oakleaf hydrangeas flower on stems produced the previous growing season - pruning now will remove the flower buds for this year.

Those tall bare stems will begin to leaf out and fill in before too much longer and the plants will lose their 'winter look'. Cut back severely just a year or so ago, no pruning should be required.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here