Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Most shade tolerant hydrangea

Posted by ikea_gw 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 23, 09 at 20:12

I have a wooded backyard with tall oak and tulip trees surrounding a lawn. At the edge of the lawn I have several mophead hydrangeas that are doing great. However, I want to plant some hydrangea under the trees as part of a woodland garden. Lower limbs on the trees are trimmed so there is filtered light but I still need some shade loving hydrangea. What type might perform well in such a setting? Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Most shade tolerant hydrangea

oakleaf hydrangeas should do well, and annabelle hydrangea.

o

ALL hydrangeas are shade tolerant - that's the nature of their origins.....woodland understory shrubs. Too much shade will reduce blooming on any type - filtered or dappled light is nearly ideal. Otherwise, morning sun and shade during the hottest part of the day.

Actually, oakleafs and arborescens are a couple of the most sun tolerant species, along with grandiflora. And oakleafs in much shade will not develop very good fall color.

o

You are welcome to try some of the ones listed below. They are recommended especially for shade in one of my hydrangea books. However, I doubt the author meant 'shade' as in dense shade so allow s o m e light to reach the plant so you can enjoy some blooms.

Immaculata, Maculata, Marechal Foch, Mme. Travouillon, Parzifal, Quadricolor, Soeur Therese

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here