Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Forever Hydrangea

Posted by mcraymond 6a (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 21, 09 at 6:52

I am new to posting, but I have really enjoyed the helpful advice I have found in the past. Last April I planted two Forever Hydrangeas on the north side of my house in upper CT. They did beautifully throughout the spring, summer & fall. I did not protect them over the winter, but had planned on covering them with cloth in the evenings starting in April this year. The reason why is because last year, I had planted them during a warm spell, but, of course since this is New England, we had a couple nights of frost a few weeks later which killed the new growth on the top of one of the plants (it did recover nicely though). My question is: should I have been protecting them all winter OR is it ok to only protect the new growth in the spring from potentially frosty nights after growth has begun? I hope this isn't too wordy!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Forever Hydrangea

No, not all winter. You can protect them in late Fall or early Spring. A frost here or there should not be risky to these hardy woody plants. I would pay attention when a big dip below freezing is announced after being above freezing for many days. New growth or buds could be affected by such weather changes but the small tender leaves will be replaced.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here