Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What will take am shade, some pm sun?

Posted by janegael 6a CT (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 28, 09 at 9:48

I have some stunning Endless Summer in the front that get a lot more afternoon sun and are doing great. But I have a back fence area that is bare. It pretty much gets bright shade until about 3pm and then sun until about 6 or 7pm.

I'd like something that reblooms since the idea is to put some color in a dull area. Other suggestions are welcome as well.

Thanks,
Jane

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What will take am shade, some pm sun?

Are those the times when that area gets sun now or in the summer?

o

It's in the summer since in Connecticut it's still winter. Right now they get a lot of sun since the trees are bare. :)

o

It is hard to say coming from Texas. Over here, the hydrangea leaves would suffer from sunscorch and they would bleach out and turn either white-ish or yellowish. For that reason, your plan would be a bad idea **here**.

But... you are not in Texas so I will mention that several relatives in Mass are growing Nikko Blue -with no problems-on the west-facing side of the house. I am not sure exactly when they start getting sun in the summer but it would be sometime after 1pm. Pine trees then provide shade about 1 hour before sundown (this is in the summer time). The plants have done fine throughout the years and the blooms have not been affected (sometimes blooms will brown out if exposed to too much sun).

Because the sun exposure is different in the northern half of the country versus the southern half of the country, you might be able to do plant them successfully. Some rhodies, for example, can be grown in full sun over there but must have shade here by 11am.

Look around for an existing plant being grown under similar conditions so you can observe what happens or even ask the owner. Or experiment to confirm if you can. Try just one plant for starters. If you can, grow it in a pot for one year so you can easily move it elsewhere if the sun becomes a problem or if the blooms turn brownish early in the summer. A good and constant supply of moisture can help grow hydrangeas where it is a little bit sunnier than normal. Water when the soil feels 'almost dry' or dry to a depth of 4". Wet soil will promote root rot so just keep the soil moist. And mulch them well too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here