Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ivysmom_gw

ID this macrophylla?

ivysmom
13 years ago

I had two 12" pots on the front porch that needed to be filled, so I went to one of the local big boxes to find something showy, and noticed they had hydrangeas (cringed to see one of the signs spelled it "hidrangea"). No indication of what type, just "pink." Came back with a couple of gorgeous, obviously forced blooming beauties. I'll see if I can get them to grow somewhere in the ground, too. The stems (which are green and not woody yet) seem really sturdy, and the blooms are 9" easy.

Anyone care to take a stab at the variety?

{{gwi:994673}}

Here is a link that might be useful: The pink hydrangea

Comments (5)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

With florist's hydrangeas, the cultivar is anyone's guess. Few, if any, are sold as a specific cultivar....you can ony be assured that these are not a patented form, as those must be clearly labeled and a royalty paid for growing. With different fertilization and watering, these could just as likely be 'blue' hydrangeas :-)

My philosophy is just enjoy 'em and forget about assigning a name.....how important is it anyway unless you are looking for a specific variety?

As these have been rasied in a greenhouse and forced into bloom (well out of season), it is still much too early to plant outside.

• ivysmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Only interested in the cultivar to get an idea of how much sun to stick them in, for the ground :) I have the whole spectrum of shade levels available around the yard, hah.

And yeah, these could very well be blue hydrangeas in disguise! I am definitely enjoying them :)

• msalcido
    13 years ago

Hi. Great hidrangea ; )

Not sure of the cultivar; but I do know it does require partial shade from the hot afternoon sun, especially in Houston. I would give it am sun and then protect in the afternoon from 12pm on. Right now the weather is nice so full sun probably wouldn't hurt it, but come summertime - that beauty will be sun burned if given to much sun.

Also, gardengal is correct - it is still to early to plant outside. If you can place it in a room where it gets indirect sunlight, keep it watered and transplant around the middle of March or first part of April. It should do well. It may not bloom next season, as the hothouse plants tend not to do so after being transplanted.

Good luck!

• ivysmom
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Howdy msalcido! How are your masjas looking? I kept mine indoors this whole winter under a grow light, and moved them outside last weekend. The leaves are turning fall colors now and new growth is coming up as well. All but one are flourishing for me. Can't wait to get them in the ground, just not entirely sure where yet.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

It really doesn't matter with the cultivar - all bigleaf hydrangeas would be happiest in all day dappled or filtered shade or at the very least, afternoon shade. Even in my very northerly and quite mild summer climate, H. macrophylla is just not very happy in full or afternoon sun.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths