Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vinegar in water

Posted by ivysmom 8b/9a - Houston (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 23, 11 at 11:27

I haven't tested the soil yet, and I will soon, but I was under the impression that soil around town here is naturally somewhat acidic. However, my ASB that pushed a few blooms out last Fall was pink. I was hoping for bluer ones, and I have 8 masjas that I would LOVE to grow out a deep purple.

Then I read elsewhere that Houston's water is somewhat alkaline, so I am wondering if that may have offset any soil acidity. Anyhow, until I get the soil tested, I was wondering if a "trick" I read might be a good idea. Namely, to add some vinegar to the water used on the hydrangeas, to lower the pH.

Anyone tried this with success?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vinegar in water

Houston soils (Houston black clay) are pretty well known for being slightly alkaline. It's quite possible your indigenous soil has been amended to become more acidic but I wouldn't bet on it without testing. Clay soils tend to buffer any attempts to alter soil pH significantly. And typically, areas that have alkaline soils will have alkaline water sources as well and vice versa -- the two seem to go together.

Yes, watering with a dilute acid solution (2Tb table vinegar to a gallon of water) can overcome the alkalinity of the water but you may still be fighting a battle with respect to the soil. You might only be able to get the really deep blue or purple colored hydrangea flowers you want by growing them in a container where you can customize the soil to a specific pH.

o

• Posted by ivysmom 8b/9a - Houston (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 23, 11 at 15:29

It's not too terribly clay-y right where I live, but I guess I'll only get my answer with a pH test. Probably pick one up on the way home tonight :)

I'm not opposed to building up a bed for the hydrangeas, either. The color is what sold me on this particular cultivar, so I'm motivated to do what I can in order to get as close to that color as possible.

Thanks!

o

East Texas Soils are acidic but Houston is mostly not. Use a soil pH kit sold at nurseries or make one yourself with litmus paper. Mix water and soil for a while and test to see what happens.

o

Aluminum sulfate is the standard for "blueing" Hydrangeas.

o

You have to watch adding aluminum sulfate, it can be too harsh, but Organic Traditions makes a great product that works really well, I got mine at Home Depot. I love the the way mine go from light pink, to blue and then all shades of purple.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here