Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
taking care of new hydrangeas

Posted by tulips101 none (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 11:32

Hello in new at growing hydrangeas what should i do to take care of my newly bought quart size plants if they are delivered before the weather is right too plant outside.Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: taking care of new hydrangeas

• Posted by Dgregory 6A - So.Central IL (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 27, 13 at 17:00

An answer to best help you depends on the variables. There are a few "unknowns" that make it difficult to give you good advice.

From your post I am assuming that you mail ordered them and they will be delivered, already planted in quart pots.

So generally speaking:

If they are leafed out when they arrive, and you are in a growing zone that is still below freezing, you should protect them. If you are in zone 6 or warmer, an unheated garage would be fine until weather is milder.

Watering them while in a holding pattern indoors (in an unknown potting medium) is tricky and should be carefully done. They will need moisture but if kept too wet, or the medium holds too much water, they can rot.

hth,
Deb

o
RE: taking care of new hydrangeas

Plant them about 2-3 weeks after your average date of last frost in Spring, all the while keeping them comfy and moist as Deb said above.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here