Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Was my Hydrangea murdered?

Posted by mystro 9a WA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 26, 10 at 11:42

I'm a fairly new male gardener who made the mistake of letting a relatively unknown garden cleanup person prune my garden, this idiot cut my beautiful Hydrangea's all the way down to the ground..these were well established plants approx 4 ft tall and quite frankly, were the highlight of the front of my home. Needless to say, I've been in mourning over this all winter.

What can I do to help encourage growth..I'm really fairly lost on what I can add to the soil and help them grow?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Was my Hydrangea murdered?

They've not been murdered :-) At worst, you've only lost a season of flowers but even that is not a for sure thing in our climate. The shrubs will regrow and fairly rapidly. I'd just make sure they are well mulched with compost and well watered during our dry summer. Avoid attempting to encourage growth by excess fertilization - that's not how fertilizers work and any growth generated by heavy fertilization is prone to insect and diease problems. The compost is sufficient. And a little patience :-)

And find a new gardener with some better experience and pruning skills!

o

Whew..I do feel better after your kind explanation. I'll check the forum for the best fertilizer to use and certainly watch that I don't over do it. Thanks gardengal

o

Just to clarify my statement.....if you mulch with compost, you do not need to fertilize any further. Compost contains all the nutrients necessary to ensure good healthy growth of the hydrangeas. If you want to adjust coloring, that's a bit different and I'd recommend a light application of ARC fertilizer (Azalea, Rhodo and Camellia, aka 'acid lovers' fertilizer) in spring as new growth emerges, only to encourage blue flowers.

o

I'll be visiting our local nurseries with the idea of clearing away some of the stone and packing something around them as you suggested..I didn't know that about the mulch/compost working in place of fertilizer. thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here