Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Looking for oakleaf hydrangea "Alice"

Posted by magneato 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 13:00

Hi! I have been researching the best oakleaf hydrangea for my garden, and due to the space available and the desire for something very tall, I think "Alice" is the gal for me. The trouble is, I can't seem to find many sources to get it. Monrovia has it in their catalog, but doesn't seem to actually have it for sale online. Do you know of anywhere in particular I should look? Many thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Looking for oakleaf hydrangea "Alice"

Oh wow, magneato. I have the opposite problem. My local nurseries (small to medium sized stores) like to carry Alice so I have difficulty finding other oakleafs locally. Check your local plant nurseries and see if they carry it. Inventories this time of the year may be small but Hydrangeasplus.com and Hydrangea.com carry it. Or so their websites said a few moments ago.

Luis

o

Thank you, Luis! None of the physical shops have much of anything right now, but you have given me hope that I will find it locally! I saw hydrangea.com but didn't know if the site was reputable. I had not heard of them before this weekend. I didn't know about hydrangeas plus.

Do you (or others) know how many years it takes them to get to full size?

This post was edited by magneato on Sun, Feb 23, 14 at 18:11

o

The estimated size at maturity in most labels assumes about 10 years. If you were to have a long growing season (like in the southern states), you could shave a few years off that mark. If you want to get it there faster, you could get a larger specimen to begin with. For that, contact the mail order companies by phone as this info is not in their websites normally. Some local landscaping companies will offer this kind of service too (ie, try to find a specimen that is larger/taller/wider/smaller/etc than what you normally get in stores).

Is there a reason why you were asking about this?

PS - I forgot to say that Monrovia is a wholesaler that does not directly sell to the public but you can go to a local nursery that buys from Monrovia and special order Monrovia plants that the local nursery does not stock. There may be order limits (either quantity or dollar value) on those transactions though... imposed by the local nursery, not necessarily by a wholesaler. I once was told I had to order at least $100 in order to special order.....

o

Wilkerson Mill is where I got mine a couple of years ago.

Wilkerson Mill

o

So you do not get confused magneato, Wilkerson Mill's website is called hydrangea.com

o

Thanks Luis. The link I provided will take him to the site and the oak leaf 'Alice'. I find 'Snow Queen' as big if not bigger than 'Alice' (so far).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here