Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
invincibelle spirit hydrangea

Posted by jacqueline3 9CA (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 18, 13 at 14:20

I know there has been some discussion about this hydrangea on here (I did search it), but most of the posts were from when it was really new and none of the plants had been in the ground very long.

So - here is my question: Does anyone grow invincibelle spirit hydrangea in No California? If so, could you tell me what sort of conditions it is planted in, and how it is doing?

I planted two of these over a year ago on the South side of my garage. Because of the garage, a fence, and a giant overhanging oak tree, the area is shady most of the day, but does get maybe 2-3 hours of sun, depending on the season. I have a hanabi (shooting star lace cap) hydrangea there as well, and 15 feet away, in more shade, I have 7 anabelle hydrangeas. The anabelles and the shooting star hydrangeas are doing great - lots of large flowers every year. All of those bushes grew to 4-6 feet tall within a year or so.

The invincibelle hydrangeas did bloom last Spring (their first Spring) with very small pink blooms. The bushes, however, have not gotten larger than 12 inches high and about 12-18 inches wide. I just cleaned up that bed, and they are still there and still alive. I plan on feeding them with Maxsea fertilizer for acid loving plants. Any information anyone can give me who grows them in a similar climate to mine (Mediterranean) would be very welcome!

Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: invincibelle spirit hydrangea

I have had other varieties that did the same thing, meaning grow very little on year 1 but they made up afterwards.

o

OK Luis - thanks. I don't know much about hydrangeas, so that makes me feel better. I guess I will just wait to see what they do eventually. I was afraid that they might not be getting enough sun, but the hanabi one is right next to them, and it is as happy as can be.

Jackie

o

Don't you just hate it when that happens??? Two similar shrubs side-by-side and not showing the same growth. Just keep an eye on the basics: soil pH should be acidic or near neutral; maintain the soil evenly moist, not wet or dry; use 3-4" of mulch so they do not have episodes of very dry and moist; the roots do not like to be wet. Fertilize when they leaf out with a slow release fertilizer.

o

OK, I checked them yesterday - one of the tiny plants is getting leaf buds on it, the other one is not yet. So, I guess I just have to be patient! That is not my strong suit. Meanwhile, all of the other hydrangeas near these are taking off madly - maybe the tiny ones will take the hint

Jackie

o

I was thinking about planting them in front of my house where im taking out some evergreens .Does anyone think that will work or would belle anna work better to house is whit so i wanted some color.Does anyone have any ideas thank you.

o

tulips, I would not plant them in my front yard. I don't think they are very attractive.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here