Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline9ca

invincibelle spirit hydrangea

jacqueline9CA
11 years ago

I know there has been some discussion about this hydrangea on here (I did search it), but most of the posts were from when it was really new and none of the plants had been in the ground very long.

So - here is my question: Does anyone grow invincibelle spirit hydrangea in No California? If so, could you tell me what sort of conditions it is planted in, and how it is doing?

I planted two of these over a year ago on the South side of my garage. Because of the garage, a fence, and a giant overhanging oak tree, the area is shady most of the day, but does get maybe 2-3 hours of sun, depending on the season. I have a hanabi (shooting star lace cap) hydrangea there as well, and 15 feet away, in more shade, I have 7 anabelle hydrangeas. The anabelles and the shooting star hydrangeas are doing great - lots of large flowers every year. All of those bushes grew to 4-6 feet tall within a year or so.

The invincibelle hydrangeas did bloom last Spring (their first Spring) with very small pink blooms. The bushes, however, have not gotten larger than 12 inches high and about 12-18 inches wide. I just cleaned up that bed, and they are still there and still alive. I plan on feeding them with Maxsea fertilizer for acid loving plants. Any information anyone can give me who grows them in a similar climate to mine (Mediterranean) would be very welcome!

Jackie

Comments (6)