Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cody_mi

the new annabelle types

cody_mi
14 years ago

anyone growing incrediball (abetwo) or invincebelle spirit (pink flowered)?

Comments (19)

• georgia-rose
    14 years ago

I obtained a couple of Invincibelle Spirit last fall, but they were small plants, in quart pots (cheap!).
    I am growing them in a heated greenhouse, after forcing them into dormancy for 2 months and stepping them up to gal. pots.
    By giving them a head start on spring, I'm hoping they will be large enough to bloom later this year.

I haven't purchased Incrediball, because I have an arborescens 'Annabelle' mutation that is very similar to it.

Sorry, know this isn't much help, but they are new to the market and it probably will be several years before any meaningful conclusions, re garden worthiness and performance, in various Hardiness Zones, can be assembled.

• cody_mi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

could you tell me where you got your invincebelle spirit? i haven't seen any trustworthy sources

• whaas_5a
    14 years ago

From what I recall they are going to be widely available @ local garden centers this spring @ a $30 price point for #2.

• georgia-rose
    14 years ago

cody_mi__

My small one's came from a local source. A call confirmed that they quickly sold out and can't get any more of that size.
    As whaas indicated, they will probably be available at local nurseries as soon as the last freeze date has passed.
    You might check your local HD garden centers, as they are retailers, in my area, for the Proven Winners & Color Choice brands and are usually less expensive than the Independents, who usually must pay more for their plants, sometimes more that the HD retail price!

• woodthrush
    14 years ago

What major differences are there between Arbor. Annabelle
    and Incrediball? I have both on order.
    Pam

• cody_mi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

from what i understand there isn't much difference except for flower size. they're both arborescens. the same with invicebelle spirit

• woodthrush
    14 years ago

Thanks Cody. Looking forward to all we have coming this year.
    Pam

• gabrielledeveau
    14 years ago

Saw this lovely hydrangea at Wayside Gardens web for sale if anyone is interested. Going to wait and see if my local HDs in the area have them,usally have all the new types here on LI.

• cody_mi
    Original Author
    14 years ago

pam were they part of your co op?

• Laurel Zito
    14 years ago

Mine was a Wayside, but they don't really ever look as good as the photos in the catalogue. I think those photos are doctored some how.

• woodthrush
    14 years ago

Yes, Cody. Co-op from Spring Meadows Nursery. We're
    getting Incrediball, Invincibelle "Spirit", Cityline Rio and Cityline Mars, Let's Dance Starlight, Let's Dance Moonlight, Quick Fire, Limelight, Pinky Winky, Edgy Hearts, and Annabelle.
    Tropical Thought - I think it takes a few years for the plants to full mature to look like the catalog photos. And they are grown under optimal conditions.
    Pam

• woodthrush
    14 years ago

Yes, Cody. Co-op from Spring Meadows Nursery. We're
    getting Incrediball, Invincibelle "Spirit", Cityline Rio and Cityline Mars, Let's Dance Starlight, Let's Dance Moonlight, Quick Fire, Limelight, Pinky Winky, Edgy Hearts, and Annabelle.
    Tropical Thought - I think it takes a few years for the plants to full mature to look like the catalog photos. And they are grown under optimal conditions.
    Pam

• Laurel Zito
    14 years ago

I just got the new wayside catalogue. The new Annabelle type is supposed to not have floppy stems. The price is reasonable but a one gallon size is hard to get established for the mop heads, but I don't know. It would be better to get a five gallon if possible. Does anyone know if the stems are not floppy? That was the biggest draw back to Annabelle. I had one it would not bloom, I was not giving it enough water. Wayside sent another one, so I had two. They both bloomed, but the second one got too big for the area and it had floppy stems like all the flowers were on the ground. So, I took out that one. Then I had just one Annabelle, but now it's dead. It's hard to make a decision because I have such limited space. I would like to wait and see if someone posts photos before buying the new ones. But, maybe I will go crazy and buy it anyway. I don't know. The pink one looks ok, but my Endless summer is really pink, so I already have a pink one basically, and I don't need another pink one.

• nycynthias
    14 years ago

I have five tiny Incrediballs bought in 1 gal pots last year from Wayside. They didn't bloom last year, but I am hoping they might establish this year and reward me with...something? I will post pics if and when they do!
    For what it's worth I KNOW I drastically overpaid for them ;) I just had to have them.

• Laurel Zito
    14 years ago

Mine did not bloom the first year, but it was a lack of water. I had the sprinker pattern changed it bloomed, so the second annabelle bloomed right away, because it had more sun and more water.

It seems odd is such a lack of photos of the new incrediball, because I did a google search for limelight and I got like 100 plus photos. I just found out they turn green after turning white. This put me right off them. I don't want one. I can not stand the green flowers. I think I would like to try white dome instead.

• unprofessional
    14 years ago

They turn white after starting green, actually - just like almost every lightly colored hydrangea.

You probably won't see lots of pictures until more of them get into consumer hands. My local nursery got some last season, in time to overwinter them, so this is the first year I would expect to see a fair amount of pictures.

Spirit is gonna sell huge. Old ladies love pinks. I am not so huge on the color after seeing it in video. You can find a few different clips of it on youtube.

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    14 years ago

I was able to locate a nursery selling for 45 a 3gallon pot. I know its alot but noone else ive emailed said theyd be getting it! Ive spent worse on shoes... lol

• FrozeBudd_z3/4
    14 years ago

Last spring I had seen many of the newer varieties of hydrangeas in 3 gallon blooming size for $20 some bucks at Canadian Tire ... I snapped up several types, though Limelight wasn't being offered, I got this one at a end of the season sale for $15 ...

Terry

• User
    13 years ago

I got one last year, through mail order in quart pots. It didn't make it.
    They replaced it for me with a healthy plant, this June.
    However this one managed to attract all the bugs in the garden.
    The slugs love it! I managed to control them with iron pellets.
    Now it seems to have been attacked by some fungi.
    It hasn't got the resilence of arborecens.
    The more I think of it, the less I like this mutation of a perfectly beautiful and understated yet reliable hydrangea. I am sorry to have succumbed to all this hype about a pink Annabelle.