Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Deer resistance

Posted by florrie2 7A Maryland (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 8, 09 at 17:40

Hi Everyone:

I have a Nikko Blue hydrangea in my yard that the deer dont touch. Since that is just about the only thing I can grow that isnt a deer buffet item, Id like to plant more hydrangeas.

Springhill Nursery has a $25 free coupon, and I was thinking about getting some from them.

They have H macrophylla "forever pink" and H macrophylla "bulk", but theres no deer resistant symbol for them.

Does anybody have deer experience with these varieties?

Please dont tell me that a hungry deer will eat anything. I know this and have seen them nibbling plants on my porch!

Thanks, Florrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Deer resistance

Hydrangeas are not noted for having any particular deer resistance. In fact, they are typically included on lists of "often browsed by deer" or "frequently damaged by deer" plants. Specific cultivars would neither deter or encourage them - a hydrangea is just a hydrangea to a deer. Flowers in particular seem to be favored but most sources also indicate deer will nibble back hydrangea stems rather severely, often within inches of the ground.

For flowering shrubs liking similar conditions to hydrangeas that are NOT very appealing to deer, you could consider Pieris japonica, Leucothoe and most viburnums.

BTW, Springhill Nursery has a very poor reputation as a mail order source. You might want to check out the Garden Watchdog and review the ratings before deciding to do business with them.

o

I have deer all over the place around here, and they loved munching on my Pinky Winky. Strangely enough, they generally left my other paniculatas alone (Limelight and Quick Fire). They did not seem to like my Annabelle or Endless Summer much either (thank goodness!!!). But yes, truth be told, when they get hungry, they seem to munch on everything... sigh!

o

If you have a hydrangea that deer don't eat, I'd say take cuttings from it and make more of those! They love my Annabelles ... I have to keep spraying them with Liquid Fence. I also have some wild H. arborescens (Annabelle is a cultivar of it) and they love those the most.

o

Thanks everyone for your advice. I made some cuttings from my "deer resistant" Nikko Blue last year. Let's see how they do!

I've not had problems with Springhill. Last year some of the plants I got didn't grow and they replaced them with similar plants.

Thanks,
F

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here