Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Multi Colored Hydrangea

Posted by leannejh California Bay Area (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 7, 09 at 17:44

Hi, I had a hydrangea, probably a macrophylla/mop head, that I loved and I would like to find another one with similar characteristics. The blooms were huge and ever changing in colors. Each head would usually start out lime green, then pink would start to flush in, then it would go into antique mode and turn lime green and maroon. Gorgeous, and excellent for cutting. Anyone know of one that has this color changing ability? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Multi Colored Hydrangea

Could this be one in the Kaleidoscope series? Let's see what the experts here think...

o
RE: Multi Colored Hydrangea

The reality is that most macrophyllas will go through a series of colorations, with the whites producing the least amount of variability. Buds will typically be formed showing one color that will mature into something different. Then as the flowers age, the color will intensify then begin to fade to a more neutral tone. How much of this color change they produce depends a lot on weather and growing conditions as well as the fact that some cultivars tend to produce a wider range of color changes than others. Serratas will do this as well - 'Beni Gaku' is well known for this color change.

It is quite possible that it is one of the Hovaria series (aka Kaleidoscope), but it could be a number of other cultivars as well. IME, hydrangeas act very differently in different gardens in different locations :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here