Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grow95

How long before climbing hydrangea grows back please?

grow95
13 years ago

I did a lot of searching for a similar question about climbing hydrangeas before posting this, but did not see any.

A neighbor friend, who has done some wonderful work around the house, pulled down and chopped off about 4-5 feet of climbing hydrangea I'd been waiting 4-5 years to grow up the east side brick wall of my house. What used to be a beautifully maturing vine is now a 2.5 to 3 ft. clump of chopped-off branches.

I believe I read that one of the things that makes a climbing hydrangea finally take off and start growing more quickly is the establishment of a large and healthy root system. The plant certainly still has that, so I am hoping that with plenty of water, some 10-0-10 and some compost, that it won't take another 4-5 years before it gets back to where it was.

Also, there are shoots growing out away from the wall, along the ground. I am thinking if I prune those away before the vine starts to leaf out, the plant will put its energy into growing vertically, so as to re-cover the wall more quickly.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Comments (3)