Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
azmountains_gardener

Remontant/Everblooming Hydrangeas

I am interested in Remontant/Everblooming Hydrangeas, such as Endless Summer or Invincibelle Spirit. I am wanting to plant a few of these this coming summer. Is there a website where I can go to get a list of such hydrangeas? If not, can we start a list here?

I guess they don't have to be technically remontant. All I care about is that I have flowers from as early in the growing season as possible all the way through summer and into fall.

Comments (6)

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

Generally speaking, hydrangea flowers will bloom in Spring and stay on the shrub until the Fall so any variety that you like would be a good choice. As long as they are hardy to your zone, get shade starting around lunch time, get adequate moisture and have acidic (or neutral) soil, they should do well. If they do not get sufficient moisture, the flowers may brown out. Lacecap blooms do not last long here due to the hot summers so I would not recommend those in Arizona unless you can compensate.

• ivysmom
    13 years ago

In Arizona, your biggest challenge will be keeping them watered and shaded enough. That said, you can add All Summer Beauty to the list of long bloomers. I ordered a 2-year-old plant from HydrangeasPlus.com (check their website -- very helpful) in September and its first bloom appeared in late October. It was pushing another 4 - 5 out in December, but a freeze did them in. The plant is fine but the blooms were toast. I live in Houston.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hydrangeas Plus

• azmountains_gardener
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Shade is no problem here. I live in the mountains of Arizona, where there are plenty of trees. The water is less of an issue than you might think as well. Granted, we don't get very much precipitation, and I couldn't grow them all over my land, but there are a few places close to my house where it is rather easy to keep things watered well. We get thunderstorms almost daily during summer, which is a big help. Thanks for the tip about All Summer Beauty.

I didn't know that hydrangea blooms lasted for that many months. However, I still would like to get reblooming types because I like to cut flowers for inside, and I'd like for a new flowerhead to appear when I cut one.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    13 years ago

Any of the hydrangeas that bloom on new wood (or current season's growth) can be considered to be everblooming or remontant as they are capable of producing flower buds throughout the growing season. These would include any of the arborescens or paniculata cultivars. Otherwise, there is a limited number of remontant cultivars of H. macrophylla (bigleaf hydrangea) - all of the Endless Summer series, the Forever and Ever series, etc.

Check the attached link for additional details. There are other cultivars of macs that are considered to be "free flowering", meaning they have the potential to reflower from old growth. Length of growing season may impact this ability.

Here is a link that might be useful: good listing of reblooming hydrangeas

• Hydrangea729
    13 years ago

*Endless Summer
    *Twist N Shout (lacecap)
    *Blushing Bridge (white mophead)
    *Penny Mac and Mini Penny
    *Forever & Ever series (incl. doubles and a lacecap)
    *David Ramsey
    *Decatur Blue
    *Oak Hill
    *Nikko Blue (from my own experiences; certainly very hardy)
    *Lilacina (lacecap; reblooming from experience; hardy)

I highly recommend Endless, Twist N Shout, and the Penny Macs. It is nice to have a sizeable fleet of remontant hydrangeas to make sure you have at least SOME flowers. However, once you get better at hydrangea culture do not be afraid to wander in a little deeper and try out some of the old wood bloomers. With sufficient winter protection (MOUNDS of leaves work great....at least 16 inches), you can grow hundreds of other culivars. The traditional varieties still knock the socks off the rebloomers in terms of flower quality (that's why we grow hydrangeas, right?) and are definitely worth the extra effort.

• Tim Wood
    13 years ago

Also ...

* Let's Dance Moonlight
    * Let's Dance Starlight
    * Let's Dance Big Easy

Here is a link that might be useful: Proven Winners