Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thorngrower

Light requirements

I have to say after reading as much as I can on the subject, I'm still confused on light requirements for Annebelle and limelight. I was given both as presents for my birthday last August. Limelight I have planted in full sun and both annabelles are in pots over wintering in the groud. ( hope they make it) So what is the correct recipe. Morning sun afternoon shade All day dappled sun??? Any help would be helpful, springs coming and I need to decide on homes for these plants.. HELP...........!!!!

Comments (11)

• f1laila
    14 years ago

iam new to hydrangea plants,and i really dono how to take care of this plant,infact i bought yestarday 1 hydrangea plant and its in a big pot,and couple flowers on a way to blossom,i will really happy if someone tells me how to take care of hydrangea .and the weather were i stay is minimum 15 Celsius and max is 36 Celsius.so just waitin for someone s reply who can tell me how to care for this plant thanks

• morz8 - Washington Coast
    14 years ago

gardengal, member page show the second poster as living in India.

Something specific as to type from the plants tag might be helpful, or it might not. I couldn't even find a reference to growing hydrangea - outdoors - in that type climate, only in climate controlled glasshouse.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    14 years ago

Annabelles: Partial shade, avoidance of direct afternoon sun

Limelight: Full, direct sun. The paniculatas are full sun plants.

• thorngrower sw. ont. z5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I thought limelight could live in full sun, so thats where she is planted. I'm not sure where I could plant my annabelles.. I have a few spots with afternoon shade but not 100% sure how much afternoon shade.I'm thinking after 2:00 pm there is shade in these spots. Is that too much sun.I also have some shade spots in the back but they get 4 hrs. of afternoon sun around 12:00 to 4:00 I suppose they would not do well there. I have another spot with full shade till 4:00 pm and about 3 hrs of sun. Any thoughts....

Mark

• georgia-rose
    14 years ago

Hydrangea arborescens and it's cultivars can be grown in full sun in the northern latitudes. Partial shade is recommended for the southern US, but I have seen them growing in nearly full sun exposure here.
    In the absence of sufficient rainfall, additional moisture will be required during the period of establishment, usually one to two years and thereafter, during periods of extended drought. Check foliage in early morning, if wilted, add about one inch of water to the root zone area.

I have just purchased two Incredibelle Spirit pink-flowering cultivars and one will be placed in a location that receives morning sun until noon, the other one will be located in afternoon sun, from about 2 PM until dusk.
    I have no location on the property that receives all day sunlight.
    I have expectations that both will do well, as I have other Hydrangeas, Oakleafs, macrophyllas and serratas located in those areas and they perform very well.

• mxk3 z5b_MI
    14 years ago

Well...yes and no....

If you want to grown Annabelles in full, direct day-long sun, even in zone 5, either plant them in *very* moist soil or be prepared to make daily (or twice or thrice daily) runs for the hose. Otherwise, they will be droopy toast. Really, they are partial shade plants, even in the north - that is where they perform best.

Mark: When you say shade 2:00 pm, do you mean the spot gets morning/early afternoon sun until 2:00 then shady rest of the day? That spot should do fine.

12-4:00 pm might work, too - depends if the spot is in hot direct or gets bright indirect light.

Every yard is different - plant them in one of the above two locations and see how they do. You can always relocate them if they're not doing well, and if you don't have a suitable spot, you can try growing them in containers.

• thorngrower sw. ont. z5
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I knew I read somewhere if annabelle was planted in full sun I would have to water all the time. Thats why I'd like to plant with some shade. The spot I have with morning sun till 2 in the afternoon is where I'm going to try one and the other one I think I'll try with, no i'm still not sure yet. But as you say I can move them. Thanks so much for all the feedback. You guys are great.

Mark

• teri55
    14 years ago

Annabelle's do fine in shade. Limelight's need more sun or you won't get much bloom.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

As stated previously, a situation that provides morning sun and afternoon shade is the preferred condition for any type of hydrangea. Most of the hydrangeas we grow in our gardens are native to deciduous woodlands and are naturally suited to at least a partial shade situation. Since the sunlight and heat is at its greatest intensity in the afternoon, some protection from that is suggested. And will certainly reduce watering requirements. As long as the plants receive 4 hours of sunlight - easy to accomplish with morning sun - they will bloom fine.

• SandyTroy
    10 years ago

I have a sprinkler system for when there has been no rain (large yard/beds/lawn) which helps grow fabulous Limelight hydrangeas. I have two large 5 ft diameter Limelights in full sun (started from cuttings about three years ago) that are about 3.5 ft tall at my PA home. I cut them back each year to keep them around 4 to 5 ft. when in bloom. Also, I have one Limelight about 6 yrs old (6 ft diameter) that gets full afternoon/evening sun (no morning sun) and I keep cutting it back to 4 ft height - and each year.. and it grows new shoots up to 6+ ft tall. All three bushes have profuse flowers. Some times the blossoms are so large the branches will bend over. Easy plant to start new cuttings. We are moving from PA and the new owners I hope also will love these marvelous hydrangeas I am leaving.

Sponsored
Fairfax Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars53 Reviews
DC Area's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Experts