Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mopheads

Posted by sandi22 CA (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 8, 11 at 23:41

When is the best time to plant a mophead? I live in Southern CA where the climate is mild to hot year round.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mopheads

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 9, 11 at 11:23

Plant whichever weeks your temperatures are coolest and there is less heat and water stress on the shrub. In your climate, I think you'll want a site with filtered to partial sun, planted facing east if possible where it's not in the strong afternoon light.

o

Good luck growing hydrangeas in Southern California!

o

Hydrangeas grow beautifully in SoCal! Coastal SoCal is better suited than the hotter/drier interior areas but otherwise, very few limitations as to even the best time for planting. Whenever!! There are some issues to keep in mind - shade during the hottest part of the day and perhaps a need to create a specialized planting area with pH-adjusted soil. And if you have issues in your area with drought and the municipal encouragement of xeric or waterwise plants, you might want to rethink hydrangeas altogether.

My sister lives just south of Laguna Beach and has a quite shady courtyard garden that has a bunch of hydrangeas, both planted and in containers. They slow down a bit in winter but otherwise never seem to go completely dormant or lose all their foliage and can produce blooms at nearly any time of the year. She often comes home with some new florist's hydrangea "find" she picked up at Trader Joe's or the grocery and after a week or two indoors, she plants them out as well.

Sunset's Western Garden Book recommends mopheads (Hydrangea macrophylla) and most other species for all California climate zones except the high desert area of interior Southern California (Barstow, Victorville, Palm Springs, etc). If you can grow hydrangeas in Texas, you can for sure grow them in most of California!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here