Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wanting desperately to grow Mophead hydrangeas

Posted by Andievecchio USDA 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 1:10

I live in southwestern Idaho and reallllly want to grow Mophead style hydrangeas. I've been doing research and it seems like my winters could be a problem for these guys. I would like to grow them in a large oak barrel on a side of my house that gets morning sun and day/ afternoon shade. My question is would it be possible to keep the plant in flowering condition if I moved the plant to my greenhouse or garage during the winter? I've always wanted to grow them just never had the courage to finally try it. This is the year! Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wanting desperately to grow Mophead hydrangeas

That sounds like a good plan. I'd give it a try with a couple mopheads to begin with. The other thing is to try all the winter protection schemes northern growers have done with good success.

o
RE: Wanting desperately to grow Mophead hydrangeas

I'm sure that your plan will work with that particular type of
winter protection. Give it a try...they'll well worth your effort.
There are so many varieties out there to choose from and
so many colors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here