Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrangea in full shade

Posted by natalie4b 8-GA (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 27, 07 at 9:07

Will hydrangeas survive and florish in full shade? I have an area next to AC units that need some color and cover up. It is shady and kind of on a wet side. I was wondering if I work soil conditioner into a red clay, maybe some sand too for drainage, hydrangeas might enjoy being there. Is there any cultivar that tolerated full shade more then others? I am flexible with color. Prefer mopheads to lacecup.
Thank you!
~Natalie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrangea in full shade

Natalie,

Most mophead hydrangeas need at least 3 hours of sun or dappled all day sun/shade to bloom well. However, even if the light conditions were good, beware of planting next to the AC. I have had hydrangeas next to the AC and they do not like that hot air blowing on them all day. (especially on top of the already gastly heat mother nature supplies here in the south) It strips the leaves of all moisture (even though I watered every day) and made them brown up and drop off. Wish I had more optimistic words but I really don't think this is a good spot for hydrangeas......yg

o

I have a number of hydrangeas in full or nearly full shade that do just fine.

o

• Posted by arcy zn3/4 (My Page) on
    Fri, Mar 30, 07 at 14:12

I have several Annabell all in full shade. They do GREAT!! I also have a pink pigea I think is the type. It too is in more shade thand sun.

o

Many folks have different concepts of what constitutes "full shade" so it would be helpful to get an explanation from the OP as to what they are dealing with. Full shade is typically defined as an area that receives NO direct sunlight - either under a broad overhang or under the canopy of a large evergreen(s) and no reflected light from walls or other hard surfaces. With very few exceptions, all other situations will receive at least some direct or filtered sun, specially in summer when the sun is high on the horizon or in winter when the deciduous shade trees are bare.

In general, any flowering shrub, even shade lovers, will prefer some direct, filtered or reflected sunlight to bloom well and not become overly leggy.

North facing plantings - which most folks consider to be full shade - really have a rather high degree of indirect light and are often alot brighter than many suspect, unless governed by those two other factors. And if away from a structure or other large shade casting object, can often be considered full sun.

o

I am very hopeful this year to see some bloom. Planted lots of different hydrangeas last year, and expect them to bloom this season.
Thanks to all for your input!
~Natalie

o

Gardengal48,
Your explanation of full shade was very helpful! I have a newly planted Endless Summer on a north facing wall, that I was concerned about because of the full shade.

It will get no direct sun light in this spot, but certainly reflected light off the wall.

Thanks for that thorough explanation! I think it will do ok there now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here