Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
natalie4b

Hydrangea in full shade

natalie4b
17 years ago

Will hydrangeas survive and florish in full shade? I have an area next to AC units that need some color and cover up. It is shady and kind of on a wet side. I was wondering if I work soil conditioner into a red clay, maybe some sand too for drainage, hydrangeas might enjoy being there. Is there any cultivar that tolerated full shade more then others? I am flexible with color. Prefer mopheads to lacecup.

Thank you!

~Natalie

Comments (11)

• yellowgirl
    17 years ago

Natalie,

Most mophead hydrangeas need at least 3 hours of sun or dappled all day sun/shade to bloom well. However, even if the light conditions were good, beware of planting next to the AC. I have had hydrangeas next to the AC and they do not like that hot air blowing on them all day. (especially on top of the already gastly heat mother nature supplies here in the south) It strips the leaves of all moisture (even though I watered every day) and made them brown up and drop off. Wish I had more optimistic words but I really don't think this is a good spot for hydrangeas......yg

• andrewsdad_seattle
    17 years ago

I have a number of hydrangeas in full or nearly full shade that do just fine.

• arcy_gw
    17 years ago

I have several Annabell all in full shade. They do GREAT!! I also have a pink pigea I think is the type. It too is in more shade thand sun.

• natalie4b
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I am very hopeful this year to see some bloom. Planted lots of different hydrangeas last year, and expect them to bloom this season.
    Thanks to all for your input!
    ~Natalie

• tulipsmiles
    14 years ago

Gardengal48,
    Your explanation of full shade was very helpful! I have a newly planted Endless Summer on a north facing wall, that I was concerned about because of the full shade.

It will get no direct sun light in this spot, but certainly reflected light off the wall.

Thanks for that thorough explanation! I think it will do ok there now.

• Cara Evans
    7 years ago

Just make sure the soil drains well, especially if in shade. Mine was on the north side of our new home and wasn't doing well. When I moved it, I discovered the soil to be purely clay and VERY soggy; the roots were drowning.

• kitasei
    7 years ago

Is there general agreement by the hydrangea cognoscenti that the Annabelles are the ones that will perform best in shade, or is there a better candidate?

• luis_pr
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

H. arborescens (that is, Annabelle and its related cousins) need several hours of sun to perform its best. In the NE, it can usually take even full sun as the sunlight in the summer is weaker than it is here where I live. But being naturally an understory plant, it will do its best in dappled sun under a tree. If it does not get sufficient sun, it may stay green for longer periods of time before changing to white. I would suggest H. macrophylla and H. serrata for bright shade conditions but check the winter hardiness too.

• Marie Tulin
    7 years ago

My an. nabells are on the north side of the house, but it is open and pretty bright; just no direct sun. They are never watered and they bloom every single year. The branches die by half and I cut them back to green wood.

Many years I have cut them back to about 8 inches / They grow back and bloom like crazy

• October_Gardens
    7 years ago

Another tip for soggy soil in the shade would be to raise the crowns up 1-1.5" from the surrounding ground and place water-loving companion plants around them, like hostas, astilbes, irises, etc.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County