Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting Now OK?

Posted by retiredprof 7 - Northern DE (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 9:31

Folks: I need to move two medium-size mopheads (about 3-4 feet tall) to the other side of the house. I know from reading on this forum that I should do that when they they are dormant. Have I missed that window of opportunity? I'm in zone 7, northern DE.

How would I tell if they are breaking out of dormancy, or it's too late?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting Now OK?

When fully dormant, that would be the ideal time. But it does not mean do not transplant the rest of the year. Summer, because of low humidity, drying winds and high temperatures, is the worst time but it can still be done if you devote time and provide some TLC after transplanting. Some people, when attached to the shrub for sentimental reasons, will propagate it before trying to transplant it.

Shrubs that start leafing out are breaking out of dormancy. I have some just starting to wake up. The leaves are still tiny (< 1 inch), not fully open, kind of curled a little bit.

o
RE: Transplanting Now OK?

I'm planning on transplanting several 3-4' tall mopheads this weekend as well. in Zone 6 mine are still in dormancy, I'm guessing--the only leaves they have on them are dried out ones from last year. The buds on the stems are swelling but still very tight and small.
Hopefully we both have good luck!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here