Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
indoor for outdoor

Posted by maidinmontana 5 (debirosin@bresnan.net) on
Fri, Mar 20, 09 at 9:32

Hi, I saw hydrengas for sale at my local Albertsons, will they grow as an outdoor plant or do you think they are strictly for indoor use? I didn't read the tag, as they are usually mis-information in most cases.

I didn't realize there were so many kinds out there. Thanks to any and all replys.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: indoor for outdoor

They are the same type of hydrangeas one finds in nurseries and garden centers, so theoretically they can be grown outside. However, the ones you find in grocery stores and other places in bloom now have been grown in greenhouses and with a lot of manipulation (light, temps, fertilizers, growth hormones) to be forced into bloom at a very young age and out of season. You can't take one of these home now, plant outside and expect it to survive.

If you can keep it alive indoors long enough - hydrangeas do not make good houseplants and these are intended as 'gift' or throw away plants - until it is safe to plant outdoors later this season, it is possible that you can transition these types of hydrangeas into the landscape. In your climate it would need winter protection. Generally, I'd recommend this type of indoor-to-outdoor transition be restricted to zones 7 and 8, as the chances of survival are much higher but if you want to try, it's certainly worth the attempt.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here