Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nikko blue snowball bush vs regular hydrangea?

Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 4, 09 at 10:03

Is this the same plant or 2 different types of hydrangea plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nikko blue snowball bush vs regular hydrangea?

• Posted by morz8 Z8 Wa coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 4, 09 at 11:11

Rjinga, I think you're being confused by someones use (misuse) of common names - it's hydrangea macrophylla Nikko Blue. The macrophyllas are often referred to as Lacecap, Bigleaf, French, Mophead....in this part of the country at least 'snowball bush' is a viburnum and there is no viburnum Nikko Blue.

o

• Posted by rjinga middle ga, zone 8 (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 4, 09 at 12:01

after doing further research on TN Nursery (wholesale nursery also known as D&T) I guess I should not be surprised..

here is how their website lists this plant. which merges both terms into the description...I checked them out on daves garden, garden watchdog, and it was pretty bad reviews.

nikko blue Snowball Bush Hydrangea macrophylla Nikko Blue ('Nikko Blue; Hydrangea) The Nikko Blue Hydrangea has blue blossoms on a plant with a strong constitution which make Hydrangea macrophylla Nikko Blue' one of the best

Hydrangeas Hydrangeas produce some of the biggest and most beautiful flowers in the garden. New England is probably the hydrangea capital of the world. Take a drive through Cape Cod on a summer day, and most likely, you will witness a fantastic array of show-stopping hydrangea blooms. Types: The LaceCaps Lace Cap hydrangeas are large leafed varieties with flat flowers. The flowers are small in the middle and around the outside they have larger, of an inch size flowers with four petals. This is type of hydrangea often seen Cape Cod. They prefer morning sun and afternoon shade, but will tolerate full sun or as little as 3-4 hours of sun. Popular Lace Cap varieties: Lace Cap Improved Large growing to about 4-5 tall and 3-4 wide. Flowers range from pinkish-purple to blue.

o

I've seen macrophylla's referred to as "snowball bushes" usually by places that don't bother to list hardiness zones let alone latin names!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here