Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nequincy

another Newbie question... pistachio

nequincy
12 years ago

I keep seeing this new hydrangea called "Pistachio". Has anyone one ever seen it in person or have one? I was wondering because in some pictures I've seen it's beautiful ( deep reds, blues, bright greens) and in some pictures I've seen it looks more drab ( browns, blues, greens)I would really love to have one, but I guess that depends on what it REALLY looks like. The space I have is pretty wide but I need something under 3'. (which from what I've read the Pistachio fits the bill) If not does anyone have a suggestions of a hydrangea that would fit this area?

Comments (16)

• Hydrangea729
    12 years ago

Like yourself, I am hoping to see the elusive 'Pistachio' in bloom. The pictures are definitely intriguing but if I had to venture a guess, I would say those pictures depict the blooms in their "mature" state. To get colors like those, I am pretty sure the nursery (and/or their well-paid photographer) has worked hard to get those specific colors. The average gardener probably will not get flowers that look so interesting as the process of bloom aging is full of enigmatic vagaries.

One gardener's beautifully mature hydrangea is another's parchment ball (mine). Good luck!

• echinaceamaniac
    12 years ago

I don't like the looks of it. I can't stand that green color in a bloom.

• October_Gardens
    12 years ago

I'm going to get one this Spring if I can find it. I'm particularly going to look at the first few shipments that Lowe's gets in, since they are a primary carrier of Forever & Ever plants. If you see them at all, there will be few and they may go quickly. A 1.5 gal will do for now, and they usually run around 16 bucks.

Like any hydrangea the name of the game will be location location location. If you can't find anywhere to put it where it will look good then it's probably not much good to you. If I had to pick a general spot for this, I would keep it in a well lit area surrounded by plants with brighter flowers/foliage.

• Natsu
    12 years ago

Hortensia Pistachio� 'Horwack' aka Hydrangea macrophylla Saxonî `Schloss Wackerbarth in europe

These are the best photoshop free pics around.They have these plants in europe for years before they reach us. The pics are normally pretty true compared to the U.S. release hype.

The hortensia Pistachio ⢠'Horwack' (Hydrangea Pistachio ⢠'Horwack')

Ball launches in 2012 a "new generation" of hydrangeas, with new colour combinations. A very exciting collection. As such, the hydrangea large leaf 'Pistachio' gives a quite original floral composition: large umbels of 12 cm (5 inches) in diameter consisting of scarlet red flowers shades of green, pink, purple and chartreux... resembling the color of pistachio, what indeed evokes the name of the cultivar. Bonus, the ground of flowers is variable, which adds a note joking its flowering. It blooms on old wood and refleurit on new wood. This shrub may be between 80 to 120 cm (32 to 48 inches) in height and width can vary between 1-1.5 m (3-5 ft). It forms a very compact mound of dark green leaves.

As its hardiness is better than several other hydrangeas big-leaf, flowering is easier than traditional cultivars in northern regions. This cultivar withstand temperatures up to - 29 ð C. It must give a soil with lots of organic matter, well-drained slightly acid. Can cultivate the semi-shade or full sun.

acidic soil

{{gwi:995211}}

Lime soil

{{gwi:995212}}

• nequincy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone. I ordered one from an online nursery that I've ordered several other things from. I think it will fit just perfect in this spot just hope it flowers like I want it to! Thanks!!!

• triciae
    12 years ago

I just ordered a set of 3 h. 'Pistachio' rooted cuttings from QVC this morning. I live in coastal CT (just a few feet from the water) so I'm hoping these will be as prolific as regular macs. Eight years ago, I order 8 rooted cuttings of h. 'Homigo' from QVC & they've performed beautifully. They're now a mature 50' hedge. I like 'Homigo' because it blooms a month later than most macs giving me fresh blooms into late October or early November.

I'll post pictures of 'Pistachio' if I get any blooms this year.

/tricia

• triciae
    11 years ago

I've got a small bloom on my 'Pistachio'! Going to be great plants.

/tricia

• josht
    11 years ago

I ordered mine from hirts gardens in Ohio early this year. It produces a few blooms and they had less green than most of the pictures I've seen. I haven't tested the ph of the soil but I have a bunch of FE togethers very close by and they are a deep purple so it must be fairly acidic. I would like to have more of them but I was only able to get it in a 4 inch pot so I only ordered one.

• margomouse
    11 years ago

Triciae

That is beautiful :)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    11 years ago

I was NOT impressed with photos I saw of this plant - I thought it looked ghastly! And then I saw it in real life and in bloom and I couldn't resist :-) In my climate, the pink was a much richer, deeper jewel-tone color than the pics depicted and a great contrast to the chartreuse. And the coloring just gets better as the flowers age.

I should also let you know that I am not a fan of 'pink' in virtually any shade - never owned a pink hydrangea and never wanted one and selectively removed anything else in the garden that bloomed pink. Obviously this plant seriously impressed me :-))

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

Have you guys checked the similar Hokomathyst, a.k.a. Everlasting Amethyst Hydrangea? I just saw it on the link below and the picture reminded me of this post.

Here is a link that might be useful: Picture of Everlasting Amethyst Hydrangea

• October_Gardens
    11 years ago

Hint... Everlasting hydrangea are supposed to be widely available at Home Depot in 2013, according to Plants Nouveau. I'm sure people will be trying them left and right, and for a 3-gallon I don't imagine them exceeding $20-25 or so.

• littleblackbat
    8 years ago

The ones I have seen in person are a fuchsia pink and green. It's nice as a novelty, but I miss my burning embers hydrangea, she was Gorgeous!

• Kayla
    8 years ago

Almost bought a Forever & Ever Pistachio hydrangea today at Lowes. They were $16.95 for a 1 gallon plant. They also had Fantasia. I would have got them both if they had still been on sale. A couple of weeks ago I saw them on sale for 2 for $22 or something like that. Just didn't love it enough to pick it up for $17. Maybe in a few more weeks if they go back on sale. I think they are beautiful. =]

• Liz Gallardo
    8 years ago

I just got three very lush Pistachios in 5 gallon pots from my local nursery. The leaves are so dark and thick, with lovely yet oddly colored blooms. I plan on putting them in a row in front of my little limes that should be slightly taller and are leggy. It will be an interesting experiment!