Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
coffee grounds to acidify?

Posted by frances_in_nj z6 NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 3, 12 at 10:35

Hi, I'm just wondering if dumping coffee grounds around my hydrangeas would acidify the soil and help them to have a more blue color? Of course I know I could also use aluminum sulfate, but its just that as a coffee drinker, I have lots of grounds, and would like to put them to good use!

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: coffee grounds to acidify?

They are very good as a weak fertilizer but there is not much acidity left after making coffee, meaning not the high amt that you would need to lower the pH significantly.

Because they are still good for your plants, I would add them throughout the growing season but stop all fertilizers somewhere around July-August so the fertilizers do not make the plants "stay awake" in the Fall. Only fertilizers rich in nitrogen interfere with dormancy (although applying too much of a weak fertilizer could eventually do that too).

I even have one Border Collie that loves the smell of coffee grounds so much that she will cover herself in coffee grounds! She loves it when I bring some from Starbucks. Hee hee hee! Dogs will be dogs. It is interesting when they return back to the house, the BC smelling like coffee and the others smelling like mint.... I can tell where they have been!

o
RE: coffee grounds to acidify?

According to my resources (and not personal experience), acidity is necessary but not sufficient for color change to blue (you have to have available aluminum as well); acidity makes aluminum available to the hydrangea. Also, you cannot change the intensity of a color with acidity or aluminum.

The coffee grounds will add some nitrogen to the soil, which may help the color a bit (see link).

Here is a link that might be useful: Color Change

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here