Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First blooms :)

Posted by ivysmom 8b/9a - Houston (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 21, 11 at 11:09

Well, my ASB that pushed out a couple blooms last November is showing its first color this year already. We just had a nasty freeze a month ago, so it hasn't been very long in recovery/greening out this season.

I must say, I'm very impressed with this shrub, so far! Good news on the other fronts, I can see bloom buds on ALL the other ones: the neighboring Trophee and Oregon pride, the Nikko Blue and Madam Emilliore (sp) in the back yard, and even one of my 8 potted masjas which were less than a year old when I got them last September.

I'm wondering if it's too late to add anything to the soil for affecting color. The petals showing on the ASB are pink (again). I'm wanting more of the blues and purples overall. Can future blooms this season have their color changed?

So, bring on the color! :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First blooms :)

If you eventually want purples/blues, you will want to add amendments and now is as good a time to start them. Follow the recommended frequency on the label and use a very good soil pH meter since the purples naturally occur in a very narrow pH range. The current color though is based on the pH of the potting soil since this ASB got planted in October and the roots have not had much time to venture much outside of the potting soil yet. Once they grow into your garden soil, they will show the correct soil pH color which is still pink as Houston soil is alkaline. But hopefully by then, your amendments will have started to acidify the soil. Aluminum sulfate should be applied in the recomended label amounts; too much can burn some of the tiny roots. Note: it would be easier to control the soil pH on a potted plant than on a shrub planted in the ground.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here