Return to the Hydrangea Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone uncovering yet?

Posted by kskaren z5b MO (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 11:33

Normally, I wouldn't think of removing the cardboard and mulch piled on top of my hydrangeas until almost a month from now, but with this strange spring weather, I wonder if any harm could be coming to the plant if it's trying to bud out under there. This is the first year I've tried that technique, and I admit, I was a little apprehensive last fall, bending the stems over and piling stuff on top of them! Of course I know we can't really predict there will be no more frost, but if the reports coming from the nation weather service are correct, it looks like spring might really be here. What are you all in my zone doing so far?
Karen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone uncovering yet?

Try to resist Karen. Otherwise, you'll be running back and forth with blankets when we get the typical overnight freezes in a few weeks.

I did prune my roses & felt decadent. Then the forsythia bloomed the next day. OK. I got away with that one. I'm still resisting the hyrangeas for a few more weeks.

o

I'm pretty sure I was late uncovering last year and my hydrangeas did fine, or I'd even say great. Unfortunately I don't remember when that was, but it was well past when I thought I should be uncovering.

So I'm thinking better to err on the later side.

Last week was so beautiful and warm here that I started cleaning up old leaves, etc. off hostas and other perennials. Now that its turning colder I almost regretting that. Some hosta shoots are starting to come up and they seem a lot more protected under the leaf, etc. debris.

o

Thanks, Mehearty and EJR2005! Well I did uncover a couple of the new ones I got last year from Aldi's, not knowing whether they would even come back at all. They look good--albeit pale and spindly and tender. I left the others alone, and will wait a bit longer.

We aren't scheduled to have any of this cold weather others around us are getting....don't know why, but am grateful! I am a beginning hosta collector, and some of mine are up 5-6 inches and leafing out already. I don't think I could possibly find enough containers, sheets, etc. to cover all those plants, so if it does turn off cold, I'll have some losses. Fingers still crossed....
Karen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Hydrangea Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here